Multiple domains on one install

Discussion in 'General' started by Gixxa, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Gixxa

Gixxa New Member

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about ISPConfig 3. So, I installed it on my server yesterday, however it is not working like I expected. So I had this Problem:

1. Installed ISPConfig like the tutorial (Debian Jessie, Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3) said.
    2. I created my Domain for an E-Mail server. However to get it to work I had to use server1.example.com as my mailhost instead of mail.example.net. Maybe it was because the domain was still to new and not fully working across all the DNS server in the world? I'll try this again later today.

Now to my questions:

1. Would the setup be the same for on one server with multiple domains (~20 domains)?
    2. We are currently using Dovecot, Postfix, Postfixadmin setup after this tutorial: "mailserver-from-scratch-debian-8" (can't post links yet). How would we migrate the database from postfix to ispconfig? The passwords look like this $1$06...........
    3. We also have multiple sites on our server (mainly ILIAS LMS, Moodle LMS, Drupal Sites and two Django Sites (these will be migrateed to drupal in a few months)) how would we migrate these to ispconfig? They are all using mysql except the Django sites, they are using sqlite.

Those are the bigest questions that are on my mind at the moment and hope to find an answer to them :)

Is ISPConfig 3.1 still on track and expected to release in June 2016?

Btw. great work you are doing with ISPConfig, I've only tested it for a few minutes and am very happy with it :)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) yes.
    2) Try to copy the passwords as they are from postfixadmin database into the password field of the mail_user table, it is likely that they will work.
    3) Create the website in ispconfig and the database, copy over the files of the website int the web folder of the newly created ispconfig site, dump the mysql database and import it into the new mysql database on the ispconfig server, change the owner of the files in the web folder to the web[ID] user and client[id] group of this website, adjust the mysql login details in the config file of the cms.

The ISPConfig 3.1 beta 2 will be release this week. If the final gets released in june or july depends on the bugs that were found in the beta 2 then.

3. Gixxa

Gixxa New Member

Hey thanks for the fast response :)

I just have another two question:

1. Do I need to install everything? I don't need the DNS Server (BIND) as all our Domains are setup with our provider and they have all the necessary entries like A, AAAA, MX etc.. I also don't realy fancy Lets Encrypt, but I could be conviced if you or others say I should install it and it is safe. The last I heard is that the script needs root privileges.
    2. If I opt for the beta, be it beta 1 or beta 2, and the final is released can I just upgrade from beta 1 or 2 to 3.1 final?

4. till

You dont have to install Bind and lets encrypt is fine, so you should install it if you host any websites. ISPConfig versions can always be updated with the ispconfig_update.sh command, no matter if its a beta or a 3.0 to 3.1 update.

5. Gixxa

Gixxa New Member

Alright great :)

I just installed the beta and it is runing without a problem. Where can I find the Lets Encrypt "Page"? I also added myself as a Client and was able to disable a lot like Sites, Tools, etc. but how can I disable the client from adding a E-Mail Domain, E-Mail Account, Mailing List, Jabber etc.? All the Client should be able to do is simply add an autoresponder and change his information i.e. name, address etc.

Sorry for all the questions it's just a lot to take in :)

Edit:

Never mind the clients. Just found out it works over a new "client template".

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Add jessie-backports and install letsencrypt from there. If you don't fancy LetsEncrypt you can of course obtain and use certificates from other sources, but for any sites that don't otherwise have one, it's a simple checkbox away to have https. (Well, and then of course you have to make sure your CMS works with it too, not sending links to mixed content and such.)

7. Gixxa

Gixxa New Member

Yeah just found it it was just a little checkbox "Let's Encrypt SSL" when adding a new Website. Ist it also possible for the Mail Server to be signed with Let's Encrypt SSL?

What I don't understand now, in the server config, is the website path.

I would like my document roots to be this:
    /var/www/clients/[client_id]/[website_domain]/htdocs
    However what do I have to add for website symlinks? It should be like this?:
    /var/www/[website_domain]/:/var/www/clients/[client_id]/[website_domain]/htdocs

This will not work. This is how it looks:

example.net --> /var/www/clients/1/[website_domain]/htdocs/

The second website_domain is not replaced by the domain :(

8. till

This can not work as paths may never contain changable values like a domain name. ISPConfig uses ID's for this as it allows to cahnge website domains at any time without breaking the website inside. And the website is in a folder called "web" and not htdocs, so appending a folder named htdocs will just break the layout.

Delete the test site that you added and restore the original path values in the config to repair your system.