Multiple domains & where to search

Discussion in 'General' started by suy, Sep 19, 2005.

1. suy

suy New Member

I have setup suse 9.3 following "The perfect setup for suse 9.3" from Falko.
    Very nice!!! I only had to add zlib and zlib-develop.
    I'm rather new to linux so...

Question: I also setup ISPCONFIG. After 4-5 reinstallations, it works... :)
    1.I've put a website in the /web directory using an ftp program. But, I see there's also a user/web1_xxx/web directory? What's the purpose of it. How can I reach that???
    2.During install I added also an additional ipadress (virtual). Why is it useful?

3. I want to setup more websites, on the same webserver. How? I tried to use "new site" in ispconfig, but I don't know where to look for the place (web) where I can put the php-files in (or html,...)

Thanks!!!!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's the web directory of each user that you create under "User & Email", the user can put personal pages into it. You can then access them in the browser by typing either www.example.com/~web1_xxx or www.example.com/user/web1_xxx

That's just an example on how to add additional IP addresses to one network interface. It's not necessary that you do it.

That depends on which document root you specified during installation. E.g., if you specified /var/www, then the web sites will be under /var/www, e.g. /var/www/web1, /var/www/web2, ... The folder for http documents is then the web folder inside these directories.
    If you create a user under "User & Email" and make him admin of the web site, you can use that user to upload files to the web folder by ftp.

3. suy

suy New Member

woow, that was quick!!!
    well, I try that.. Thanks!!!

Maybe another question about DNS.

The perfect setup inlcudes a dns server too.

I have a little network (1 linux (client), 1 linux (the perfect setup), and a winxp machine...

In the winxp machine, for dns, I have "obtain dns servers from isp".

"Problem": my webserver (plus dns) will not always be running.
    But if it's running (and that's when I want to work on the websites), I think it would be good that that dns server would be searched too.
    Otherwise I have to add the ip adresses in my hosts file in windows... and since there's a dns installed....

any idea's?
    Thanks!!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

On your Windows box, under network settings, you can set two DNS servers, a preferred one and an alternative one. As the preferred one you can set your Linux system, and as the alternative one you can set one of your ISP's DNS servers. If your Linux box isn't running, your Windows system will ask the alternative DNS server.

5. suy

suy New Member

thanks

Your previous solution worked !! (as expected :) )
    for dns, I did what you said, but used the ip-address of the router (he gets the dns's from my isp) .. It works for now (maybe sort of caching?)...
    Otherwise I have to set the ip-address of the dns server of my isp.
    If it works this way, it would be better, since my isp changes "sometimes" the ip-adresses of the nameserver (rarely)

Thanks anyway....

Still have a lot of questions, but it'll do for now....
    and I'll search first on this GREAT site for an answer.... ;)

Stefan