Multiple home web sites - what names to use?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sagor, Jan 15, 2011.

1. sagor

sagor New Member

I had used ISPConfig2 a few years ago, and set up several web sites at home. Somehow I got it going...
    I find the new V3 installation domain examples still confusing, so I thought I'd ask - how to properly define the machine name vs the proposed web sites...
    I have two fully registered DNS names, and about 3 via DynDNS. I have access to the external DNS records only, I cannot "become" the DNS server as an ISP...

So, say I have these two paid-for DNS names: myart.ca and mycomic.com. The web sites are "www.myart.ca" and "www.mycomic.com". I also managed to get a reverse ARP name of mail.myart.ca with my "provider". I have no ISP mail server, no real ISP - I'm just connected to a backbone to a large provider, but "on my own" (lucky me). In a way, I'm logically between a home user and being an ISP.

Back to ISPConfig3... (Debian 5 - http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-lenny-debian-5.0-with-bind-and-dovecot-ispconfig-3)
    So, what do I call the server when installing first time?? Do I just use one of these names? (the myart.ca is the most used DNS name) How does that impact the web site when I create it in ISPConfig? Do I create a name like "web.myart.ca" as the machine name, then try to create a site called "www.myart.ca"? I don't like the way that looks in the CP.. Do I just use "myart.ca" for machine name? Examples of creating web sites with ISPConfig show wildcarding for sitenames ("*"), which does not sound right if the machine name is the same name as a web site on it...

Then, the issue of DNS (Bind). I assume I don't really need it, as all my DNS entries are managed elsewhere, by other registrars. Do I just ignore it for now?

It would be nice to have that in the install tutorial, somehow...
    Any help would be appreciated - it's time to upgrade that old server at home to a newer one.
    So bottom line, what should I call the machine name when installing the Server software, so I'm sure there is no conflict with site names in ISPConfig later on?
    The reason I ask, is that my early ISPConfig V2 server, used a DynDNS name for the machine name, and outbound mail always showed that name as the sending server - that was not good, I never got the Email working properly for the individual sites. (Reverse ARP name conflicted with sender name I think)

Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can simply use a hostname like server1.myart.ca; any hostname that is not in use by a web site would do.

You must install a DNS server, because otherwise the ISPConfig installation will fail, however you do not need to start it.

3. sagor

sagor New Member

Thanks Falko, that is what I thought, but I was unsure when the ISPConfig examples came up with wild card for site names. I guess it's handled properly internally.

4. CSsab

CSsab New Member

You might also be interest in having your pointer changed from mail.myart.ca to simply point to your FQDN - myart.ca.

This way you can set up your dns later on if you want to.