multiple sites per user

Discussion in 'General' started by petergus, Jul 26, 2012.

1. petergus

petergus New Member

is there a way to have multiple sites per user? yes, im new to ISPconfig, and have created a new site, and user (for ftp), and when i make a second site it seems i need to make a new user.

what i need is to have several domains (sites) for one user, login with ftp and see all their different sites.

possible?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can have as many sites per client as you like. Every has its own ftp account.

3. petergus

petergus New Member

right, so each 'client' can have many sites, but each sites gets one ftp login?

it seems the "login data" for the client is for the ISPConfig panel only, not ftp?

or maybe i got some settings wrong. the user data for each site (web3_name), works fine though.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. Every site runs under its own Linux system user to isolate sites, so that other sites get not affected when a site gets hacked.

If you want to add more then one domain to a site e.g. wehn you use a cms system that is multodomain capable, then add the other domains as co-domains.

Yes.

5. petergus

petergus New Member

ok, think i got it, thanks!

still would be nice to access multiple sites with one ftp user account.

6. createch

createch New Member

Accessing mutliple sites thru one FTP account is for sure possible, one of the ways is to create soft links to the appropriate documentroot of the respective domains.

However, it will have a problem -- as till has mentioned, that when the ftp account is hacked, all the domains are affected.

I don't believe that a good web administrator will be "unhappy" to use different FTP accounts for different domains.
    :D:D:D

7. ChrisZ

ChrisZ New Member

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I want to voice my support of having the ability to have multiple sites under one FTP user. I understand the risks but I want it to be MY choice to take that risk.

Chris

8. createch

createch New Member

If you really want , then please create soft links and you will be able to do what you want.