Multiserver / Cluster

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Gratian, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Gratian

Gratian New Member

WAN - external full public ip. And LAN's like 192.168.1.2. Router in LAN is 192.168.1.1 Like usually...just one LAN (server1: 192.168.1.5, server2: 192.168.1.6, etc.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. Gratian

Gratian New Member

So I have a solution for this setup?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When you have multiple servers behind a router and all shall provide the same service, then you need either an external IP for each server on the router which is forwarded to the proper internal Ip of you use the approach with ports, as @Taleman pointed out. A third approach would be to use a proxy server.

4. Gratian

Gratian New Member

So... I have 3,4,5,6,etc. public IPs; each server with an IP. In this case I dont have a LAN anymore... and connection between servers must be by public IPs?

5. till

I'm not talking about the connection between the servers. I talk about your external IP addresses which are used to route traffic from outside into your LAN. Maybe you should try to make yourself a bit more familiar with networking before you continue as that's some general networking knowledge and not related to running ISPConfig systems.

6. Gratian

Gratian New Member

Hmm... I think my questions are good for me and the others and not come from a noob, maybe a noob in ispconfig...
    Thats easy with each server with a public IP, but with one public IP... to sustain multiple servers its a question...
    In a post from yesterday: the servers works well (with your help), but not the same services from all servers same time (because of one public IP and ports redirected to one LAN IP)... To put in practice ispconfig we must searching and reading this and this and this. You know, tutorials are a little bit complicated and works with some mods. For the staff maybe are like a kindergarden lesson, but I searching days and I dont find a tutorial or anything about my trouble... Just separate dedicated servers. Thats ok... I dont find anything good about a setup with 3 or 50 servers with the same services with proxy or not, with 50 public IPs or not.

7. till

You have 3 options and I told you all 3 of them, so you just have to decide which one you want to use. And this whole topic is not ispconfig specific, that's why you don't find ispconfig specific tutorials on this general networking question.

Here again your options to access services on multiple servers behind a router:

1) Port-based routing.
    2) IP based routing.
    3) Use of a proxy.

8. till

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Since you already tested that forwarding to the server2 makes websites on server2 work, your setup is OK and by port forwarding as previously discussed would make you setup work fully.
    In other words:
    You can not use your servers directly because the 192.168.*.* addresses used in your intranet are RFC 1918 Private Address space addresses, which are not routable over the Internet. So no matter what, you can not use your servers directly from the Internet. They do work inside your Intranet, there you can control routers so they do route traffic to those private address space networks.
    PS @till is correct. A frontend host doing proxy or something would also work to forward traffic to the correct internal host. Your router probably can only do forwarding based on port number.

till likes this.
  10. Gratian

Gratian New Member

yeah right, its basic network, but not good on production with different ports...
    im in some disscutions with the provider about public ip class... fiber ont>router transparent> ips for each server
    they have a solution about this problem. so thats look solved, but with different ips how the servers communicate? not like now by lan ips... by external ips? was my ante question when Till was irritated by my network knowledge... Was a question about ispconfig and intercommunications, for me...
    and the proxy maybe...

11. till

In the same way they communicate now, on your internal IP addresses.