Multiserver Mirroring Replication

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by esmiz, Feb 4, 2010.

1. esmiz

esmiz Member

Hello

I have 2 small servers running independent ispconfig 3 installations.
    I would like to setup a kind of mirroring-replication system so if the main one fails I can quickly forward the IP's to the secondary one, and keep on running until it get fixed.

I've found here a couple of tutorials that could help me to achieve it

http://www.howtoforge.com/mirroring_with_rsync
    http://www.howtoforge.com/mysql_database_replication

In the other hand Im triying to understand if I could get the same in a mulltiserver setup. After some time reading through the forum, there are still a couple of questions that I could not find an answer:

Is it possible to have a multiserver setup where both servers are able to manage all the services: (mail, web, mysql web-gui, etc.), In such a way that in the event of one of them fails, the other one can still do the job?

Does this make any sense? Thanks in advance

Best regards

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Mirroring of the configuration in a multiserver setup is a feature which will be available in ISPConfig 3.0.2. The mirroring of the data (emails, htmnls files, etc) has to be handled separately e.g. by using something like glusterfs, unison or a shared nfs drive for both servers.

3. esmiz

esmiz Member

Multiserver Mirroring an Replication

Thanks Till

Your answer confirms me that multiserver is still not for me.
    I will keep a server as a dormant backup, and use Falko's replication and mirroring tutorials to keep it syncronized with the main one.

I'm not much worried about mirroring data as we have just eleven small websites and We don't keep mail on the server. Don't need imap folders, etc.

I have used unison before (nice tool), but not glusterfs, and have no access to a shared nfs drive. In any case I will try Falko's tutorials as I guess that is enough for my needs.

Regards

4. autoafrica

autoafrica New Member

ispconfig multiple servers setup

I am writing to find out if you or any one else is successful in setting up a multi server environment with ispconfig. From your post, it seems that you already have the know how of setting up multiple servers in ispconfig.

i have tried two weeks now and all the instructions online dont say any thing sensible.
    couls you tell me how to setup two servers ispconfig.
    thanks in advance

5. esmiz

esmiz Member

Hi Autoafrica

I have not tried to setup multiserver, I just was wondering if It could be used as a kind of backup mirroring system. Aparently multiserver is used to separate services between machines, but not for backups.
    In any case I'm sure that many people has been succesfull setting it up, there is enough documentation here in the forum to start:
    It seems that you need to have an ispconfig 3 machine that will be used master and join the 2nd, 3rd, etc during the installation process choosing expert mode and telling it to use master database. Therefore you better be sure that you can reach master database from the slave machine.

Good luck.

6. till

Currently, the multiserver setup is only be able to separate services or run e.g. 5 ebservres, 2 mailservre and 2 dns servers from one single controlpanel. The mirroring of services (2 or more servers will have an identical configuration and every config change is mirrored to one or more other servers) will be availbale in ISPConfig 3.0.2. ISPConfig 2.0.2 will be available in the first quarter of 2010.

7. esmiz

esmiz Member

Good news

So 3.0.2 will be out in the following 60 days?
    Congratulations to all ispconfig developers for the greatest contol panel ever made.
    I'm sure that mirroring is something that many people will be glad to have.
    What other new features will 3.0.2 have?

Regards

8. till