Multiservers CentOS 7.4 Web, Mail, Database and DNS with ISPConfig CP

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by PUREXER, Jan 18, 2019.

1. PUREXER

PUREXER New Member

Hi,
    Currently I have everything installed on one VPS and I'm trying to separate them on multiple VPS and controlling all servers from one ISPConfig.
    1. Web Server
      • Hostname: web.example.tld
      • IP address: 192.168.0.101
    2. DB Server
      • Hostname: db.example.tld
      • IP address: 192.168.0.102
    3. Mail Server (Optimized for Mail services)
      • Hostname: mail.example.tld
      • IP address: 192.168.0.103
    4. DNS Server (primary)
      • Hostname: ns1.example.tld
      • IP address: 192.168.0.104
    5. DNS Server (secondary)
      • Hostname: ns2.example.tld
      • IP address: 192.168.0.105

So It will be great if you made a tutorial if it's possible to do it with ISPConfig.
    I have tried to simulate (with CentOS 7.4 Minimal) this old tuto (Debian 5.0) of your's but I got a little bit confused because it seem like you have installed ISPConfig on each server.

Thanks in advance

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can do that with Migration Toolkit. It migrates the websites et al from old setup (one server) to new setup (any number of servers).
    https://www.ispconfig.org/add-ons/
    If you do not want to use Migration Toolkit, install the new multiserver setup, create websites and copy over files manually.

PUREXER likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig needs to be installed on every server that is managed by ISPConfig.

PUREXER likes this.
  4. PUREXER

PUREXER New Member

Thanks for the info.
    But doesn't it use more resources? and which server need more resources?

5. Taleman

More than what?
    I would say the resources ISPConfig use are negligible.
    That depends on what kind of load you have on those servers. Name servers are likely to need less resources than the others.

PUREXER likes this.
  6. PUREXER

PUREXER New Member

Thanks a lots for your help :)
    More than just having the basics Mail Server needs (postfix, spamassin, ...), I was hopping not to install apache and php on Mail Server. Because having ISPConfig on each server looks to me like all-in-one servers and connecting them together so there is no resources saving.
    Note: I'm a newbie in the world of servers administration so there is a high possibility that I would say something look to you very stupid :p
    That's good to know. thanks
    Just simple websites and some WordPress (I think WP is using a lot of resources) Essentially I use my own CMS that I have optimized for years.
    Yes, but I'm planning to use CloudFlare instead of my own DNS because I have noticed that my servers got a lots of attacks when they have a public DNS server on them, which consume a lots of resources (own speculation :p). and maybe I will create a plug-in for ISPC to manage CloudFlare DNS using API (Idea still in study I haven't yet looked on ISPC plug-in system :oops:).

:) Big thanks for your help/time

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

An ISPConfig slave mail server does not need apache. and as @Taleman pointed out, ISPConfig actually uses nearly no resources at all. Besides that, how do you think that a server shall get configured by software without installing the software that configures it ;)

PUREXER likes this.
  8. PUREXER

PUREXER New Member

Well, I was thinking to manually configured the links between the servers.
    I'll try the ISPConfig way explained in your tuto and if got stuck again I'll turn back to you looking for your expertise :);)
    @Taleman & @till :) Thanks a lots for your help/time :) .

9. PUREXER

PUREXER New Member

Hi!
    Here I am again :D
    Informations:
    • VPS 1 : My old VPS all in one Server (Web, DB, Mail, ..., ISPConfig)
    • VPS 2 : Mail server (New Installation CentOS 7.6 Minimal, Mail Server, ISPConfig)
    I have followed the tutorial MultiServ Debian and if I did understand it correctly is by declaring the servers informations IP/domain name in the "/etc/hosts" the ISPConfig (Master) can detect and communicate with the ISPConfig (Slaves) on other servers.
    Code:
    192.168.0.101   web.example.tld
    192.168.0.102   db.example.tld
    192.168.0.103   mail.example.tld
    192.168.0.104   ns1.example.tld
    192.168.0.105   ns2.example.tld
    So in my case I have tested just by two servers (Web and Mail server)
    Code:
    192.168.0.101   web.example.tld
    192.168.0.103   mail.example.tld
    After Installing and configuring the mail server on VPS 2 and disabling The Mail Server on VPS 1 the ISPConfig did not detect or display the Mail Server in the list of servers so I run an the ISPConfig update but nothing change.
    So I don't now what to do !? I have to reinstall VPS 1 (Web server)? or ..?
    MailServer Side.png WebServer Side.png
    Thanks in advance.! Feel free to ask for more information.

10. Taleman

Why are you setting up name server hosts when
    You should enter all your ISPConfig hosts in the /etc/hosts files so the hostnames work even without name service. But to get the master and slave to communicate, you have to create the database users for all hosts. This is explained in ISPConfig Manual.
    But I do not understand the situation. Could you clarify?
    It looks like you first had one host, OLD VPS. Now you have two hosts VPS1 and VPS2. Is this correct?