My Backup List

Discussion in 'General' started by mphayesuk, Jun 1, 2006.

1. justjim

justjim New Member

What changes would I need to make to this script to make it write out to a USB hard drive instead of burning to a CD/DVD?

Also, does this script backup all system data including the ISPCONFIG data?

In other words, if I used this script and had to completely reload my system from scratch, would I simply need to copy the data from this backup back onto my server to get back to the point I am at now?

Is there a RESTORE Script that would be used to restore if necessary?

This is GREAT STUFF! Thanks for sharing it!

- Jim

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

If you use rsync for backups the restore is quite simple :) all you change is origin and destination ^^

However I don't know where you have installed your ISPCONFIG stuff... it just depends... I haven't used ISPCONFIG yet... but if you basically just mirror/backup all the data then you shoud, in theory, just be able to put everything back again :)

If you have mounted your usb drive on like /mnt/usbdrive or whatever just change the location of the destination to that...

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

4. justjim

justjim New Member

Falko,

Thanks for your reply. However, I have already reviewed all of these files. These all refer to the setup of an additional system or server for backup and redundancy purposes.

What I want to do is simply back up all of my data onto a spare USB hard drive. I don't want to dedicate another system just for this task.

I am more interested in knowing how I can modify MPHAYESUK's script to output to a USB drive instead of CD/DVD. Or...If I write my own script using RSYNC, which options should I turn on to insure that I preserve all directories/permissions, etc.

If I do it this way and my system crashed, I would simply have to reload SUSE 9.3 and then copy my data back from the USB drive. Is this correct???

Thanks for your input!

- Jim

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Normally, you'd just have tp modify some paths, that's all. You could also write your own script, normally you only need the cp command.

Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/mirroring_with_rsync
    You don't need to copy the files to a backup system, you can use rsync to make backups on the same system, too.

Yes.