My Feedback on 3.2 Beta 1 over Ubuntu 20.04

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by TonyG, Sep 15, 2020.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Personally, I use chkrootkit, rkhunter and ISPProtect. On some systems. I use Lynis instead of rkhunter, Lynis is the successor of rkhunter.

ahrasis likes this.
  2. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

This thread is about the most recent perfect server guide, which does/did have a reference to mcrypt, though the apt-get command does not. In the absence of an explicit encryption library to replace mcrypt, I wanted to verify that the Beta doc that I'm reading is accurate. The command is correct - now we know. The instructions have changed - now we know. Thanks.
    And I see the doc has been changed to eliminate that reference. That's what this is about. Thanks.

I asked:
    Ahrasis, thanks. : I have spent my entire week dedicated to this software, reading this site and others, and installing servers. I've spent significant time re-writing and expanding instructions that obviously still result in a lot of forum questions. And today I will delete my new network and use my own instructions to build a new one - and I'll probably do this a few times to help Beta 3.2 and the new "not yet perfect" docs. I'm sure I'll get to FQDN posts soon. That's just a topic I haven't had need to focus on until now. I feel like I'm getting a couple RTFM responses when I'm pointing out that specific information is not easy to find. I'm really trying to help here. My new docs reference relevant links when they are helpful.

I see people are asking questions in the blog Comments that are similar to what I'm posting here. My new version of the Multi-Server doc should help with some of that. That is, we can tell people something like this : Read the perfect docs which are very brief and direct - they simply work. Then for more info, read the multi-server doc which has more explanation, with some links for more research. For even more information, search the forums with Google using site:www.howtoforge.com and focused keywords. Then when you have exhausted all other resources, feel free to post a question in the forum.

Thanks for your patience and helpful responses.

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi Tony, would you be interested in testing the new guide I've written on installing the roundcube plugins? I currently don't have time to test it myself and your feedback is welcome. I can send you it through a PM.

4. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I'll try to get through it within the next couple days. As noted above, I'm in the process of blowing away my servers and replacing them pretty quickly. :)

Th0m likes this.
  5. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i have another question:
    is there any particular reason why, using the perfect server (apache) guide, you don't explicitly disable mpm_prefork along with php7.4, and enable mpm_event or mpm_worker instead, along with 'a2enconf php7.4-fpm'?

since mpm_event and mpm_worker are faster, multi-threaded, and less memory intensive, i would have thought that switching to one of those would have been the preferred default.

6. till

I've planned to make a v2 series of the guides with a different base setup that will also use Rspamd. There are some functions in PHP that are provided by mod_php only and while I personally don't use mod_php anymore for many years, there are still users and websites that need it.

Farsus likes this.
  7. nhybgtvfr

ok, well i'm definitely interested in seeing the v2 guide then when it's done. no rush... <taps foot impatiently.> ;)

8. gOOvER

gOOvER Member

My Webserver runs with Apache Event and fpm and ispconfig3. No problems until now :)

9. nhybgtvfr

yep, so do all of mine :D, and i can understand mpm_prefork being the default till now, with the others still being classed as experimental when 3.1 was released, i just thought with mpm_worker and mpm_event now being considered as stable on apache 2.4, the 3.2 version of ispconfig would be a good point at which to make one of them the default for the perfect server install.
    i'm still interested to see a v2 install guide though, just to see what other possible tweaks and improvements i may have missed.

10. till

This is not about having problems, it's about features that are not available anymore when doing that change where some users rely on.

11. gOOvER

gOOvER Member

The next Thing is, http/2 is only supported with Event

12. till

I know, and that's the reason why I write a v2 guide.

ahrasis and budgierless like this.
  13. nhybgtvfr

Hi Thom, is there much change from the old guide? plugins changed, new plugins etc?

14. Th0m

Yes, commands have been changed, config has been changed, and just overall the way of installing.

15. nhybgtvfr

cool, i'd be happy to test it out, i'm going to be doing a lot of creating/destroying new test servers this week...

16. Th0m

I'll send you the draft :)