"MySQL application password for phpmyadmin" wrong?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Manisch, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Manisch

Manisch New Member

Hi there,

I was trying to follow the guide for Ubuntu 20.04 quite a few times now, just to make sure there really was no error. But this one thing always keeps coming up.

At Step 8 (Install Apache, PHP, phpMyAdmin, FCGI, SuExec, Pear) the guide says "MySQL application password for phpmyadmin: <-- Press enter".
    But this is always giving me an error because the login failed...

I already saw someone mentioning to use the space key a few steps before to actually select the apache2 option, but this doesn't change anything.

This error gives me the option to:
    Cancel
    Repeat
    Repeat without Questions
    Ignore

I'm not sure if it's something I should ignore since...phpmyadmin won't be installed because of this?

But I also don't know what to enter there instead of nothing = no password.
    A new password or one I already entered a few steps earlier?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Most likely if you leave it blank it will generate a random password, which is probably what you want. This is not a password you need to know/use.

3. Manisch

Manisch New Member

Well, that kinda ist the issue: As long as I enter nothing, I get an error afterwards because the login failed...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Then your mysql root password configuration must be wrong, as that's the password that apt uses to login to mysql to create the database and database user for phpmyadmin.

5. Manisch

Manisch New Member

during which step of the Tutorial could this error have happened?
    I probably did it 10-20 times, so I must have made this mistake over and over again.

6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did you start with an empty server and first installed the OS? If you just re-install ISPConfig there already is a database password and if the password is wrong same error happens.

7. Manisch

Manisch New Member

I started with an empty server.

By now I entered a random password myself and the system seems to work without any major issues. Yet still...it's odd that "pressing enter" just doesn't work at this point. So I don't if it's just me or if the tutorial could be adjusted. But for that, I would still need to know at which point the error slipped trhough.

Anyways, Merry Christmas btw :D