mysql cannot connect using localhost

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fatbear, Jul 9, 2016.

1. fatbear

fatbear Member HowtoForge Supporter

I've hit the problem where the php mysql_connect fails with the mysql_connect function. The cause seems to be related to the fact that "localhost" is treated specially. I'm on CentOS 7.2 and using mariadb-server-5.5.47-1.el7_2.x86_64.

I've some searching and found articles like this:
    http://alvinalexander.com/mysql/mysql_connect-cant-connect-local-mysql-server-socket

I tried using mysql_connect via 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost in the test from the above link and I was able to connect.
    I just tried installing following the directions for CentOS 7.2:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...l-php-pureftpd-postfix-dovecot-and-ispconfig/

After I complete the steps, I note that I'm not able to login and my guess is that the problem is because of the localhost issue. When installing ISPConfig, I did use 127.0.0.1 as the hostname for the database. I also tried resetting the admin password, but that didn't help either:

UPDATE sys_user SET passwort = md5('admin') WHERE username = 'admin';

Is there any way to make localhost work? Or else, why do you think I'm not able to login.

2. fatbear

fatbear Member HowtoForge Supporter

Okay, I've found a part of the problem. I noted that the /etc/php.ini was using /var/run/mysqld/mysql.sock for the MySQL socket file. This was wrong as I'm using /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock as specified in the /etc/my.cnf file.

I've fixed the /etc/php.ini file and now I can see that I can sucessfully do:

Code:
    mysql_connect($host,$user,$password) or die(mysql_error());
    mysql_select_db($database) or die(mysql_error());
    Nevertheless, I'm still not able to login to ISPConfig. Any thoughts?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post the content of the /etc/hosts file.