MySQL consuming all the ram and crashing

Discussion in 'General' started by maxxer, Sep 24, 2015.

1. maxxer

maxxer Member

Hi. I've an ispconfig server running on ubuntu 12.04. The sever is a virtual xen host with 4 cores and 8Gb of ram. I'm running ~300 websites there, mostly wordpress. All vhosts are served by php-fpm.
    The machine runs fine, load is around 1.5 or even less, memory around 40/50% at most.
    Sadly sometimes mysql get mad and start consuming all the available ram, pumping up load until kernel's oom kills the process and so the box returns usable.
    I was using customised mysql parameters based in mysqltuner suggestions. Now I removed them and it's a stock ubuntu config, still this situation happens from time to time. Sometimes twice a day, sometime once a week.
    I'm a little puzzled because I don't know how to investigate this. I haven't found anything into system or mysql logs.
    Should I enable mysql full query log? Is there anything else I could check?
    I have zabbix monitoring the server but as soon as the load spikes it stops logging.

Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks

2. Lars Behrens

Lars Behrens New Member

are you using mysql 5.6? if so, check the value of performance_schema in my.cnf. Try to set it to: performance_schema = 0 and see if the problem persists

3. maxxer

maxxer Member

sadly not, I'm still on 5.5.44-0ubuntu0.12.04.1

4. Lars Behrens

Lars Behrens New Member

Are you 100% sure it's mysql that's causing your memory spike? it couldn't be apache for sure? If it could be apache, could you post your version?

5. maxxer

maxxer Member

Not 100% sure, because I never managed to be "in" when one of these happened. For sure MySQL is the one taking the most ram.
    Apache 2.2.22-1ubuntu1.10
    php5 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.19
    all sites are configured with fpm in ondemand mode.

6. Lars Behrens

Lars Behrens New Member

yeah, i asume that mysql itself is the problem then. Make sure that you log mysql it's memory usage. if you don't have a tool to do this, you could use this simple script:
    Code:
    while true
    do
      date >> ps.log
      ps aux | grep mysqld >> ps.log
      sleep 60
    done

7. maxxer

maxxer Member

thanks but adding this won't help prevent the problem.
    I was considering limiting the max number of connections per user, but I don't see this option in ISPConfig :/

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The max user connections are a variable in mysql my.cnf file, not in ispconfig.

9. maxxer

maxxer Member

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's how this works:

vi /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Scroll down to the [mysqld] section and check if there is a line

max_user_connections = ....

if there is a such a line, edit the number after the =. If there is no such line, add it. e.g.:

max_user_connections = 50

Then run:

service mysqld restart

maxxer likes this.
  11. maxxer

maxxer Member

oh I missed it! thank you very much!

12. maxxer

maxxer Member

I added `max_user_connections` but sadly it doesn't seem to be enogh, the server just suffered another crash. From what I could catch from other_vhosts.log I got tens of visits from the Google favicon bot, which seems legit. But these kind visits were very much, and from different IPs. Having so many visits (just to the homepage, tough) to so many hosts opened more than 80 connections to MySQL, and the server went out of memory again.

I was now considering setting a maximum limit of allowed connections, in order to avoid resource exaustion and consequent mysql crash, but this will still cause some sites to return mysql connection errors...
    Is there a better approach? thanks

13. Daniel Healy

Daniel Healy New Member

You should check the OS logs /var/log/messages (i think) to verify exactly which process OOM killed due to high memory usage. I don't often see mysqld killed, it's usually httpd. But it's easy to verify exactly which process is being killed.

btw, I signed up for an account just to post that, lol

14. maxxer

maxxer Member

thanks for your effort, but from the syslog it's really mysqld being oom-killed.