MySQL, IP address and bind-address

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by 4integration, Aug 27, 2007.

1. 4integration

4integration New Member

Hello,

I have a server where I am running MySQL, Postfix, Dovecot and postfixAdmin. This setup is done according to the guide http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_users_and_domains_with_postfix_debian_etch (and other). This setup are based upon MySQL configuration with
    and Postfix are using the database towards localhost/127.0.0.1.

I have also HTTP server with applications that are using MySQL without problem.

Now I want to run a multimedia server (MythTV backend) since the server have unused capacity and also fit my need. This will also use MySQL (which works fine with the bind-address above.

Then the media players/clients (MythTV frontends) have also need of connecting the database but then I get problems with the bind-address since that are configured to 127.0.0.1.

Without thinking I changed it to the real IP (192.168.1.2) and MythTV started to work (remote clients could connect) BUT didn't realize that Postfix stopped working :(

Will it be any problem of changing the IP address that Postfix and Amavis are using to the real IP??

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Just comment out the bind-address line and restart MySQL.

3. 4integration

4integration New Member

And it becomes less secure, right?!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Connections from outside would then be possible, yes. But you can use the mysql.host table to define what system is allowed to do what.