MySQL Privileges

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by mcfly, May 22, 2005.

1. mcfly

mcfly New Member

I've a little problem: I have a script that writes the privileges of new MySQL users into the mysql.db table. Now it seems as if this table has changed from MySQL 3.23 to MySQL 4.0, i.e., there are now more privileges columns than before.

Now for MySQL 3.23 I'm running this command:

Code:
    INSERT INTO `db` (`Host`, `Db`, `User`, `Select_priv`, `Insert_priv`, `Update_priv`, `Delete_priv`, `Create_priv`, `Drop_priv`, `Grant_priv`, `References_priv`, `Index_priv`, `Alter_priv`) VALUES ('localhost', 'database_name', 'database_user', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y');
    but for MySQL 4.0 I'd have to change it. But it's bothersome to program a routine that finds out which MySQL version is used or which privileges columns are available for the database in question in order to form the right SQL INSERT statement.
    So my question is: is there an easier way to do this?

2. peter

peter New Member

You can use MySQL's GRANT command:

Code:
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON test_db.* TO 'test_db_user'@'localhost';
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON test_db.* TO 'test_db_user'@'%';
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON test_db.* TO 'test_db_user'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON test_db.* TO 'test_db_user'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
    You can find details about it here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/grant.html

Peter

3. mcfly

mcfly New Member

What's the
    Code:
    IDENTIFIED BY 'password'
    for?

4. joe

joe New Member HowtoForge Supporter

It creates a password for the user you are granting privileges to. Just like normal shell accounts use passwords to protect privileges, the same goes for database users.

5. peter

peter New Member

if you use the
    Code:
    IDENTIFIED BY 'password'
    clause, and the user doesn't exist in the user table, it will be created with the specified password. If the user is already existing, its password will be changed.

Peter