MySQL Server version does not match with the version of the server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by olimortimer, Oct 30, 2015.

1. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

Every now and again, my IPSConfig 3 server (Ubuntu 14.04) stops responding, and I cannot access any website or SSH onto it, so I'm trying to dig into what could be causing the issue...

I've noticed a lot of the following in my syslog:

Code:
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local kernel: [1492778.616857] init: mysql main process (14216) terminated with status 1
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local kernel: [1492778.616869] init: mysql main process ended, respawning
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14788]: Upgrading MySQL tables if necessary.
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14791]: /usr/bin/mysql_upgrade: the '--basedir' option is always ignored
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14791]: Looking for 'mysql' as: /usr/bin/mysql
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14791]: Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: /usr/bin/mysqlcheck
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14791]: Error: Server version (5.5.44-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) does not match with the version of
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14791]: the server (5.5.46) with which this program was built/distributed. You can
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14791]: use --skip-version-check to skip this check.
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14791]: FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14815]: Checking for insecure root accounts.
    Oct 30 06:33:03 local /etc/mysql/debian-start[14820]: Triggering myisam-recover for all MyISAM tables

If I run mysql_upgrade manually, I get the following error:

Code:
    mysql_upgrade -u root -p --verbose
    Looking for 'mysql' as: mysql
    Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: mysqlcheck
    FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
    How do I solve / correct this please?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats strange. Do you use any third party repositories?

Maybe you shoud reinstall mysql.

1) Make a backup of /var/lib/mysql and /etc/mysql, just to be sure.
    2) Reinstall mysql with:

apt-get install --reinstall mysql-server mysql-client

3. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

That seems to have fixed in, thank you @till
    How often does the fix / upgrade run?

4. till

I haven't seen before that an Ubuntu MySQl update failed this way, so I guess it will not happen that often and you probably won't encounter the issue again.

5. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

Thanks @till

It seems to have fixed that issue, but the server just blipped again, so unfortunately not that that's causing the downtime...

6. till

Do you find any errors in /var/log/syslog after you rebooted the server for the timepoint it stopped responding? If there are no relevant errors, then this might be a hardware error like mainboard or flaky RAM. I had a similar issue at ispconfig.org, the data center replaced the RAM and updated the BIOS and the server runs stable again afterward.

7. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

The syslog seems to be clean now, so maybe it is down to a hardware issue - unless it's network load?

8. till

If its network load then there should be new entry's in the syslog (even if they are not errors). If the log just stopped and no new entrys, then it is most likely a hardware issue.

9. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

I've just had another blip whilst I was in the crontab, so quickly jumped back on and looked at the syslog (I've changed some URLs to protect my sites):

One thing I do notice is some of the log lines have an incorrect date - note 'Nov 1' and 'Nov 2'.

You can see when I was in the crontab, and then shortly after I was kicked out and couldn't SSH back in for a minute or so, and sites went down.

10. till

The old lines seem to come all from this script /opt/plexWatch/plexWatch.pl. What software is this?

11. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

There's also an old line from an ISPConfig cron:
    Code:
    Nov 2 00:45:01 local CRON[7907]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh 2>&1 > /dev/null | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cr$