Nameserver configuration

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by teleriddler, Jan 19, 2006.

1. teleriddler

teleriddler New Member

OK,

I have setup ISPConfig correctly and I can add websites and get them to resolve. I am moving into the category of testing mail and DNS for these sites. I am getting stuck. Here is my question.

I have a main domain that I am using for technical nameserving test1.net. I have 2 other domains I wish to host test1.com and test2.com. I have my server hosted at Cari.net, it is a virtual server. Their nameservers are ns1.ibizdns.com and ns2.ibizdns.com. I have my domains registered at GoDaddy.com, I cannot change this as my client likes their services. I can login and change where the nameservers point.

This is how I currently have things setup. I have test1.net pointed to ns1.ibizdns.com and ns2.ibizdns.com from the GoDaddy interface. Cari.net has advanced DNS that I have signed up for $1.00 per domain. This may be frivolous but I purchased to just make sure if I needed it. I suspect that I may need this advanced DNS from Cari.net in order to atleast configure my mast domain test1.net.

My question now is what should I configure ISPConfig with to use it's own nameservers on my virtual server. I am new to this configuration and have only been working with Linux for about a year. I have done single DNS servers. My goal here is to use test1.net as my main nameserver and then use ISPConfig to handle DNS for all domains hosted from this server.

Any ideas would be greatly helpful. FYI, I have used false domain names in this example just for proof of concept. If you would like the real domain names to aid in troubleshooting let me know.

Working Items:

1) Working ISPConfig install via instructions on the web
    2) Working https://www.test1.net:81
    3) Working addition of websites and they can be accessed

Non working Items:

1) Adding additional DNS records to domains in ISPConfig
    2) Sending and receiving mail

Thanx for the help in advance,

TeleRiddler

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't understand what you mean with that...:confused:

Have a look at this post: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6292&postcount=4
    If you want to have a primary and secondary DNS server, then you need a second server.
    BTW, it's good that you have a domain for technical purposes only! :)

That would be good!

Are there any errors in the mail log?

3. teleriddler

teleriddler New Member

Domain Names

Here are the domain names I am using:

mpsge.net - technical domain for nameserver and admin purposes
    mpsge.com - main site
    mileslight.com - not yet pointed to the ISPConfig due to it still being used as a mail server by my client. I want to make sure I get mail working with 1 domain, IE mpsge.com, before I move mileslight.com over.

As for the current setup on your first question. I have a virtual server setup with Fedora Core 4 , with my virtual server host cari.net. They have nameservers. I have the domain mpsge.net, mpsge.com, and mileslight.com registered with GoDaddy and I cannot change where these domains are hosted, client's preference. So I have mpsge.net nameserver entries in GoDaddy interface pointed to the cari.net nameservers, IE ns1.ibizdns.com and ns2.ibizdns.com. So here is the quesiton: When I point mpsge.net, my admin domain, to cari.net nameservers, ns1.ibizdns.com and ns2.ibizdns.com, how to do I setup ISPConfig.

The end result I want here is to use mpsge.net as my admin domain. I want to use my own nameservers on my virtual server, IE these nameservers have not been setup yet, for ISPConfig. Then I should be able to add domains through the ISPConfig interface and also manipluate DNS records for each domain through the ISPConfig interface.

If you want logins or my e-mail just ask me.

4. teleriddler

teleriddler New Member

IRC Channel?

Falko,

Is there an IRC channel in which people from this group hang out in?

thanx,

TeleRiddler

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, we dont have an IRC channel.

6. falko

This is explained here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6292&postcount=4

The authoritative name servers for mpsge.net are ns1.ibizdns.com and ns2.ibizdns.com. On these servers you create A records for ns1.mpsge.net and ns2.mpsge.net, pointing to two different ISPConfig servers.
    Now whenever you register a new domain, you create the primary DNS records on one ISPConfig server and the slave DNS records on the other server first, then you register the domain and tell the registrar that the name servers for the new domain should be ns1.mpsge.net and ns2.mpsge.net.

7. teleriddler

teleriddler New Member

Nameserver Record Entries

Falko,

Thanx for the quick reply as always. I have one minor question before I start into this.

Through the Cari.net advanced DNS interface I am able to add a multitude of records, IE MX, A, CNAME, PTR, TXT, and NS.

I have added the A records as follows:

ns1.mpsge.net A 43200 <My server's IP address>
    ns2.mpsge.net A 43200 <My server's IP address>

I was wondering if I should add them as NS records, or will the A record be good enough.

Feel free to talk in DNS speak as I have done many DNS configuration by hand before but am still learning how ISPConfig handles DNS. I know that the above configs have nothing to do with the ISPConfig DNS configurations, just to let you know I am not confusing the 2.

Thanx,

TeleRiddler

8. teleriddler

teleriddler New Member

Nameserver Record Entries Update

So I tried entering ns1.mpsge.net as an NS record and Cari.net's Advanced DNS balked at it and rightly so, I would need to have another nameserver listed where I put <My server's IP address> in order to make that work properly.

So I guess I am just waiting for my new A records I put in last night to resolve. I keep checking with dnsstuff.com but they are still not "in the system" as of yet. I will update when I get a proper query returned.

TeleRiddler

9. teleriddler

teleriddler New Member

Nameserver continued

OK

so here is my current setup.

I have my virtual server hosted at Cari.net. I have bought their "Advanced DNS Management" for mpsge.net.

I have added the following A records.

ns1.mpsge.net
    ns2.mspge.net
    ns3.mspge.net
    ns4.mpsge.net
    ns5.mpsge.net

All those A records resolve correctly now.

I have added the site mpsge.com through ISPConfig. My client has purchased mpsge.com from GoDaddy. I login to the GoDaddy interface to enter the new nameservers, ns1.mpsge.net and ns2.mpsge.net. The web interface will not allow me to enter them and returns an error that they are not real nameservers. Not sure what to do from here.

Is there any type of support package I can purchase to have someone help me get the DNS working. I have a client who is anxious to move his mail over. I try to add different records through ISPConfig, I see them in my named config files on the server but somehow I do not have BIND/Named setup on my server to answer as ns1.mpsge.net and ns2.mpsge.net.

Any advice is welcomed.

Sincerely,

TeleRiddler

10. falko

In that case I strongly recommend to contact the GoDaddy support as every registrar's DNS interface is different and requires different information, and I don't know the GoDaddy interface. I'm with DirectI.

If you need support, you can contact us under info [at] projektfarm.de.

11. teleriddler

teleriddler New Member

I finally got everything working

OK,

So I paid for support and Till has been great. I finally got everything working and a few assumptions were dismissed. I am going to post a full report of how I setup my virtual server with name server and pointing a domain from a registrar and got it all to work, even mail with SSL.

ISPConfig is AWESOME and I hope someone else gains from my report coming in the near future.

Sincerely,

TeleRiddler

12. Thunderbirdsei

Thunderbirdsei New Member

That would be very nice...I'm waiting for it... :D

13. Thunderbirdsei

I can't wait, this tool is too awesome...^^

I have a little problem with the DNS-Settings. The site
    HTML:
    http://dns-eintrag.ch
    can be reached, but the same site with the subdomain "www" can't.

Beside that, my registrar nameserver test is not very happy:

Code:
    Status  	Aus unserer Sicht funktioniert dieser Domain-Name nicht.  

Zone information
    Domain name / Zone: 	dns-eintrag.ch
    Nameserver: 	ns1.dns-registry.ch

Test results in detail

Failures
    Test: Error performing delegation check
    ==> generic

Any hints?

Update
    =====
    It work's! But the Nameserver test run's still into a failure message...I'm probably too impatient...sorry!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  14. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

DNS delegation takes some time, sometimes up to 48 hours.

15. Thunderbirdsei

Ok, thanks. Hmmm...I was able to install and configure Joomla! for http://www.dns-registry.ch and afterwards, let's say 15 min later, I can not reach the site anymore. Then I copied the installation to http://www.dns-eintrag.ch (web2 instead web1) and I'm able to run the site just fine. The settings under "DNS Manager" are equal. Even the settings under /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts_ispconfig.conf are even...I don't understand such actions...but as you said before, maybe it takes some time...it's just a bit weird that from one minute to another things just not work anymore....

Update
    =====
    Ok, time is the key to success.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006