need help adding website to ISP Config

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by superhero, May 7, 2010.

1. superhero

superhero New Member

hi, I am new to ISP Config, I had my friend help me install the ISP Config, he worked as a Tech.Admin in an hosting company, he didn't know how to add the domains, as he didn't work with ISP before it seems..

ISP Config works fine. Now, the prob arises when I try to add a domain to it.

I have a domain, I didn't know how to proceed to add a domain.

This is what I have done :

1. Created a client user
    2. Then, I added a Dns template using the following information
    HTML:
    client - hero1
    domain - mydomain.com
    ns1 - ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2 - ns2.mydomain.com
    ip address - one of my given ip address
    email - given my email address

after creating such an template, I got the template with following look under DNS Zones: ns - ns1.mydomain.com, my email and the entries were:

HTML:
    zone (SOA) - mydomain.com
    ns - ns1.mydomain.com
    email - my email
    allow zone transfer ips,  - given both the ip's of mine under it with a comma like, 1.1.1.1, 1.1.1.2

in dns records:

3. Added a domain from sites, using the following details:

HTML:
    client - hero1
    ip address - *
    domain - mydomain.com
    hard disk quota - -1mb
    traffic - -1mb
    cgi - selected
    own error docu - selected
    auto subdomain - none
    php - fast-CGI
    active - selected

just for the info, I am on a VPS, Cent OS 5, VePortal as the server panel

now, I try to open up my domain just to check if it is pinging, to my irony it doesn't :(
    I tried pinging up my domain too, it doesn't ping, the entries have been entered into registrar more than 4 days ago, so it shouldn't be a problem

I am a noob, plz help me out, out of this mess, installed the ISP config on Monday i.e 3rd May 2010

can u any one help me out in setting up my domain, I am desperate for help :eek:

2. mike_p

mike_p Member

Having just got everything working for myself I PM'd superhero to see if I could help. He sent me his domain details and the login to his ISPconfig. For the purpose of this message let's call his domain "hisdomain.com"

Having done a whois on his domain name I have confirmed that the nameservers point to ns1.hisdomain.com and ns2.hisdomain.com

I've copied all the DNS/zone/records settings that I use for my server into equivalent settings for him, yet his server is not serving the DNS information.

I've tried a "dig @ns1.hisdomain.com hisdomain.com", but dig replied with
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

My only thoughts are
    1/ the 'glue' record may not be set for his nameservers?
    2/ he has a firewall blocking port 53 (I've suggested he tries a dig @localhost to check that)

Any other ideas?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  3. CSsab

CSsab New Member

Pointer from ISP

In my case I had to request a pointer from my ISP to point from my static IP to my domain name. Looks like he has multiple IP's though.

Like you said, he may not have glue. Check if he has listed his name servers properly with the people he bought the FQDN from - if so they will have sent the glue. He can log in and change these probably and then "update" which will take anything from 24-72 hours ? propogating over the net.

Can he set up a mail box and send/receive mail?

As a final resort - if all else fails - return to his registration body and reset the nameservers for his domain name to "default". His domain name will then be again "parked".

Delete all DNS records in ISPConfig 3. Check if these have been properly removed via phpmyadmin. Start again with adding DNS records.

4. CSsab

CSsab New Member

DNS Template

To make a new template I copy this text from Default dbispconfig template entry:

[ZONE]
    origin={DOMAIN}.
    ns={NS1}.
    mbox={EMAIL}.
    refresh=28800
    retry=7200
    expire=604800
    minimum=86400
    ttl=86400

[DNS_RECORDS]
    A|{DOMAIN}.|{IP}|0|86400
    A|www|{IP}|0|86400
    A|mail|{IP}|0|86400
    NS|{DOMAIN}.|{NS1}.|0|86400
    NS|{DOMAIN}.|{NS2}.|0|86400
    MX|{DOMAIN}.|mail.{DOMAIN}.|10|86400

... into the text box for making a new template on ISPConfig3 web interface - make my modifications and then click save. I'm not real good at doing the custom things though and I'd like to view parts of your custom template if you could post please mike_p.

5. mike_p

mike_p Member

The OP's probelm was that mydns was not installed. Hopefully he will install and get back if to us if he has more problems.
    Code:
    [ZONE]
    origin={DOMAIN}.
    ns={NS1}.
    mbox={EMAIL}.
    refresh=28800
    retry=7200
    expire=604800
    minimum=86400
    ttl=86400

[DNS_RECORDS]
    A||{IP}|0|86400
    A|*|{IP}|0|86400
    A|mail|{IP}|0|86400
    NS||{NS1}.|0|86400
    MX||mail|10|86400
    TXT||v=spf1 a mx -all|0|86400

The * is the wild card (syntax seems to vary between different systems in others i've had to use '@') - so I don't need to make a 'www' A record.
    In theory I don't need the 'mail' A record either, but I like to be pedantic where the MX record refers to the mail A record.
    The wildcard does not cover 'nothing', hence the empty A record for 'mydomain.com'.
    I don't see any need for a second ns record (if the server is down that information isn't available!)

Any comments or suggestions? Any advice on improving this template would be very welcome.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  6. CSsab

CSsab New Member

Thanks for the information about the wildcard - I guess this would mean that something like monitoring.example.com or test.example.com would also have an A record created which would be very useful.

The changes I make refer to the refresh and expire intervals so I don't get errors when doing external dns checks.

Mine are:

[ZONE]
    origin={DOMAIN}.
    ns={NS1}.
    mbox={EMAIL}.
    refresh=7200
    retry=7200
    expire=2419200
    minimum=86400
    ttl=86400

At the moment I am trying to work out how to ensure that the hostname given in my SMTP greeting has an A record pointing back to the same server which is required. Default setup is this:
    mail.example.com connects with greeting "server1.example.com" and there is no A record pointing back to server1.example.com - so I changed myhostname= ..... to "example.com" and did the same in /etc/mailname until I work out what else to do. This means currently my SMTP greeting is "example.com" and of course there is an A record pointing back to "example.com". My router is taking a bit of a battering but I suspect it wouldn't matter either way :rolleyes:

myhostname= cannot be the same as anything listed in mydestination= in postfix.conf (till explained the reason for this in a post about virtual hosts conflict which I can't find just now).

7. CSsab

CSsab New Member

ding !!

I just realised what I said in that last post means that the wildcard you have would also solve my mail greeting problem *dohh*. :p

8. superhero

superhero New Member

I still have probs, in server under ISP Config, I find a option as Ip addresses, I find no ips in there, do I need to add both of my given ip's in it ?

and I got one more doubt,
    in Server Config, my friend set the ip address to be my given ones,
    and the nameserver ips are set different, they are actually the gateway ip addresse and some othrer ip,

can any one let me know what the gateway ip should be ?
    and do the nameserver ips in Server Config be my given ip addresses or gateway ip address and other ip

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  9. superhero

superhero New Member

looks like my prob is solved :) domain is loading up with default index page :D