Need the Basics

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mnkneipp, Sep 22, 2005.

1. mnkneipp

mnkneipp New Member

I am new to Linux. The "How To" for Fedora 4 is great and the install is procedding well, but it would be better if I knew more about what I am doing instead of blindly following directions. I know a little bit of Linux but I am still very much a novice, can anyone point me to some links or materials to help me learn from the bottom up? I need things such as basic Linux commands, how to create/ edit files, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

2. linuxfast

linuxfast New Member

I am hoping that "joe" does not mind me saying but I stumbled across some of his work today on

http://unixmages.com/

The book (pdf) he has put together is very down to earth and easy to understand, a great starting place for anyone.

3. mnkneipp

mnkneipp New Member

I will check it out! Thank you very much!

4. dranieri

dranieri New Member

Thank you for us new know just enough to be dangerous beginners.
    Is this PDF for windows users as well?

5. mnkneipp

mnkneipp New Member

Yes it is. I downloaded it and am reading it using a Windows machine.

6. dranieri

dranieri New Member

Yes I downloaded it as well my question was it seemed the creator is using a mac. Thats what was meant by "windows" Thanks for the reply.

7. mnkneipp

mnkneipp New Member

:eek: hee hee, silly me. Sorry. I did notice that also. To answer your question, I hope, The terminal is NOT the same in Windows. The Mac OS is based on unix, so a terminal window is the same as a Linux/ Unix command line interpreter, where as the Windows Command prompt is a DOS based command interpreter. Hope this helps.

8. domino

domino New Member

:) I stink in memorization and I hate to type. So this is what I do. I create a txt file where I know the file wont be deleted. Then I copy paste the most used linux commands and options to it, adding a command almost twice a day. I have been doing the the past year now and yes, it does get longer. However, I remove the commands that I already know by heart.

To even make it easier, I created a link to the compilation on my quick launch bar. So when I'm in a memory lapse, (brain fart) to some people, I can just as easily click on the link.

9. mnkneipp

mnkneipp New Member

Sounds like a plan! I will do that! Thanks!

10. joe

joe New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,

linuxfast, I don't mind you plugging my work at all! :) Thank you very much! I'm hoping to get a more community-based site up soon so people can start interacting.