Netdata...is it safe on a live production webserver?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by adamjedgar, Apr 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

Hi guys,
    I have been reading a bit about netdata on another forum.
    My knowledge on it is limited, however, one thing i do know it does is provides a real time graphical user interface of system performance in a browser.
    There seems to be some very loud objections to its use on live production servers because of the information it apparently provides relatively easy access to for "unwanted guests/pests"

I have a lot of faith in the information i learn from this forum and am interested in some expert advice on whether or not Netdata (and any similar software) is safe to run in a production environment.
    1. is it true that "any" prying eyes can see - server users, folders, permissions, routes, resources on URL http://IP-SERVER:19999?
    2. Can Netdata be secured so that unwanted eyes don't essentially see everything?
    3. How would one go about securing any linux server so that Netdata can be safely used without exposing everything to the world?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

adamjedgar likes this.
  3. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

AHA...Brilliant! I follow that.

I was actually thinking about the feasibility of setting up a tunnel until you mentioned this.

Thanks I will put this one on the "todo" list