Network Setup Kali Linux 2019.4

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Claymoore, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Claymoore

Claymoore New Member

I’m fairly new to Linux etc so bear with me.

I’ve been running Kali Linux on VirtualBox for about a month. But I got so tired of being able to use less than half my computers processing power so I switched over to live boot.

I can boot Kali up just fine the problem is once I get there I can’t set up a network connection (i.e. connect to my home WiFi). My computer has a Realtek internal network adapter and I can’t seem to get connected to the internet via Terminal or browser.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: So I found that Kali doesn’t have the driver installed for the chipset in my computers network adapter. Is there anyway to download that offline seeing as how I can’t access the internet to download it?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

1. You must have drivers installed for your WiFI chip. I do not use Kali LInux so do no know how those are installed. It may have extra repo that has more drivers?
    2. With drivers running, you need to set up the connection to WiFi, with GUI there is an applet to do this, from command line it is more difficult.

3. Claymoore

Claymoore New Member

If that’s the case it’s where I run into trouble. I can’t download drivers without WiFi and I can’t get WiFi without the drivers.

4. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

5. Claymoore

Claymoore New Member

Kali recognizes and shows the adapter, chipset, model, etc in multiple logs. I just don’t have any idea how to make it connect to a network. In my VM it was just a matter of the host being connected to WiFi so I never had to set up any network connections.

6. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

There are tons of how-to's on the net on how to establish a wireless connection. Without any error messages I think I can't help any further, sorry.

7. Claymoore

Claymoore New Member

I’ve since learned that Kali doesn’t have the driver for my computers chipset. Is there anyway to get that while being unable to connect to the internet?

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Debian GNU/Linux has apt-offline, which installs packages on a computer with no Internet Connection. There must be another computer which does have Internet connection, of course. I have never used Kali, so do not know how it works. But with a USB memory stick and some creativity, it should be possible to get the installation packages to your computer. Or borrow a USB WiFI stick that Kali does have drivers for, and use that to install drivers for your own WiFI.
    If you must use Kali, you have to deal with the issues. Using Ubuntu Linux may be easier, and easier to find documentation and howtos for.

9. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

From experience, Ubuntu desktop normally have everything you need especially the drivers.