New and learning

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by RamirezL, Feb 11, 2023.

1. RamirezL

RamirezL New Member

I am taking a linux class and I do not like to ask questions in class. What is the best way to correct an error, or to find where the error is? When I see that I did it incorrectly, I tend to want to start all over because I am not familiar with how to correct errors easily. Any advice would be helpful.

2. Chrix98

Chrix98 New Member

Hi,
    having learned (and still doing) over the last 20 years or so, I must say the most learn-effective time was the time spent with like minded colleagues or friends, even now where there's google, stackoverflow and what have ya.
    My first advice is; ask in class, to some your question might be stupid, to others it might be an invite to connect with you. I wish I would have had a class to ask in but I was fortunate enough to have like-minded colleagues later on, absorbing their knowledge and getting their advice was invaluable - nothing that a search engine can ever provide. Asking people - if you can - is the best source. In class or at work.

in general it depends though on what it is you're learning and what you're learning it for.
    If you're learning it as a means to be able to learn something else, perhaps its good enough to learn "the process of setting it up a certain way you need" and repeat until its stuck with you in order to progress to something else.
    I've done it and I must say, while it worked a good while, later in life when in the middle of the subsequent learning-path - and borking an environment, it was frustrating having to recreate the environment following the procedure - which of course would not have procedures for backup and restore... costing time and nerves and data.

In hindsight I'd say it would be better and long-term more efficient to learn to fix or undo the mistake you made, it slows you down a little in your primary learning path but helps you stay running later.

Good luck!

RamirezL and Th0m like this.