New Install problem sending emails

Discussion in 'General' started by crudolphy, Nov 28, 2005.

1. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

I have a new clean install of ISP config using the Ubuntu "Breezy" How To. Everything seems to be working fine. I have setup two email users. I can receive email. I have a "Hotmail" account and when I send a test message to my hotmail account it is not delivered. When I look at the mail.log file I find a listing that states the following:

Name service error for name hotmail.com Type MX: Host Not Found (try again).

It has been trying for 16 hours without success. When I "ping" hotmail.com it resolves to an IP address of 64.4.32.7 but there are no responses. I do believe the microsoft has a policy of blocking all icmp echo responses. I did a "whois" search on that ip address and it is registered to MSHOTMAIL.

Why can't my server resolve hotmail.com:confused:

Thanks in advance

Chuck Rudolphy

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's in /etc/resolv.conf?

3. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

resolv.conf

The contents were:

search ccrudolphy.net (my domain name)
    nameserver 192.168.4.1 (my gateway router)

I have changed the file to:

search ccrudolphy.net
    nameserver 192.168.4.4 (local DNS server)
    nameserver 24.93.40.72 (ISP DNS server)
    nameserver 24.93.40.77 (ISP DNS server)

I restarted Postfix with /etc/init.d/postfix restart

In looking at the mail.log file it appeared that Postfix was trying to resend the email about once every 90 minutes or so. Should be ready to resend in about another 30 minutes. We will see?:D

Thanks - Chuck

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can flush the mail queue immediately by running

Code:
    postsuper -r ALL
    as root (yes, ALL must be in capital letters...).

5. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

Resolv.conf

That fixed it. I should have known what the problem was, but I am so used to working with a GUI (Windows, KDE, etc.) that working from the CLI only, threw me off. Your help got me looking in the right place. Once I saw what was happening I knew how to change it.

Thanks loads foryour help.:)

Chuck