new IP addr for new site

Discussion in 'General' started by cpcpy, Apr 5, 2006.

1. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

i have a working ISPConfig box being setup with FC4:

IP1 = the main IP Address for ISPConfig
    IP2 = a working domain + several subdomains created in ispconfig

currently i am having problem with hotmail/yahoo spam filters (all my outgoing mails end up in their JUNK folder)

i wonder if i setup a new addr IP3, and add a new site inside ispconfig, and then point the A/MX record to IP3,
    will i be able to overcome the spam filter problem?

emails sent out from new site should be using IP3, and not IP1 or IP2, right?

thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I dont think ist a problem with your IP unless your IP is blacklisted.

Does the DNS PTR-Record for your IP point to the domain of your server?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

4. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

yes, for some reason, my IP1 and IP2 was blacklisted from day 1 (no i don't engage in spamming activies)

so i'm going to try IP3 and hope for the best...

thanks falko, my query is that, on an ISPconfig box, can i create a domain such that it has its own IP (which is IP3), and expect emails from/to the domain to use IP3 to communicate with the other server?

or does it mean that ALL the domains in my box have to use a single IP (specified by postfix) to communicate to other mail servers?

thanks

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Postfix alwys use a single IP to send emails for all your domains. You can set this IP with this configuration option in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

smtp_bind_address = 192.168.0.1

Replace 192.168.0.1 with IP3 in your case.

6. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I'm having the same problem with Hotmail and all my IP addresses (I did not test Yahoo)

I think it's got something todo with the SPF record in the DNS, and the way Hotmail (and yahoo?) is handeling this! (All other ISP who work with SPF filtering, are receiving my emails okay)

When you look at the 'headers / message source"' of the received email, you will see something like X-SID-Result: TempError (it's on the 3rd line)

A normal email (in the inbox) does not show this TempError.

More info: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=X-SID-Result:+TempError+hotmail

*** edit ***

Ok.. I found this: http://www.issociate.de/board/post/315740/SPF_Temperror_problem.html

It looks like you will need to email the postmaster of hotmail / yahoo, and give him a lot of info to make it work again.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006