New Site Shows Apache Default page not uploaded index.html

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mojosound, Feb 23, 2006.

1. dfriis

dfriis New Member

My apache2.conf ends with exactly that lines.

And yeah, I guess my system is messed up but the only thing I did was to change my server document root from /home/www to /var/www and back again. I sure hope it's something that can be repaired, otherwise it's not that great to be able to change it at all :(

I can only see two instances of /home/www in the database and that is in "doctype" and "isp_server". No instances of /var/www.

The server is a fresh install so if you want you'll get the login information for it :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The problem is that ISPConfig might have created some configuration files in the one docroot and some others in the other docroot.

Never cahnge anything in the database directly, use always the ISPConfig interface!

To get a clean version of the config tree again, you should delete all websites, wait about 1 - 2 minutes, then empty the recycle bin. Then make sure your docroot setting in ISPConfig under management > server > settings is correct and create the websites and email users again.

You dont have to delete the resellers and clients as thei do not have any configuration inside the document root tree.

3. dfriis

dfriis New Member

Thanks till, that actually worked! Sort of....

After I've deleted the site /home/www is empty and /var/www contains the catalogs apache2-default, sharedip, web1, webalizer and www.friisweb.se

After creating the new site, /home/www contains web3 and www.friisweb.se

But...friisweb.se still point to the same docroot as the server domain friisonline.com

4. till

Please post the content of your Vhost_ispconfig.conf file.

5. dfriis

dfriis New Member

Code:
    ###################################
    #
    # ISPConfig vHost Configuration File
    #         Version 1.0
    #
    ###################################
    #
    NameVirtualHost 195.38.5.139:80
    <VirtualHost 195.38.5.139:80>
      ServerName localhost
      ServerAdmin root@localhost
      DocumentRoot /var/www/sharedip
    </VirtualHost>
    #
    #
    ######################################
    # Vhost: www.friisweb.se:80
    ######################################
    #
    #
    <VirtualHost 195.38.5.139:80>
    ServerName www.friisweb.se:80
    ServerAdmin [email protected]
    DocumentRoot /home/www/web3/web
    ServerAlias friisweb.se
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php index.php5 index.php4 index.php3 index.shtml ind$
    ScriptAlias  /cgi-bin/ /home/www/web3/cgi-bin/
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    AddHandler cgi-script .pl
    ErrorLog /home/www/web3/log/error.log
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .php4 .php5
    <Files *.php>
        SetOutputFilter PHP
        SetInputFilter PHP
    </Files>
    <Files *.php3>
        SetOutputFilter PHP
        SetInputFilter PHP
    </Files>
    <Files *.php4>
        SetOutputFilter PHP
        SetInputFilter PHP
    </Files>
    <Files *.php5>
        SetOutputFilter PHP
        SetInputFilter PHP
    </Files>
    php_admin_flag safe_mode Off
    Alias /error/ "/home/www/web3/web/error/"
    ErrorDocument 400 /error/invalidSyntax.html
    ErrorDocument 401 /error/authorizationRequired.html
    ErrorDocument 403 /error/forbidden.html
    ErrorDocument 404 /error/fileNotFound.html
    ErrorDocument 405 /error/methodNotAllowed.html
    ErrorDocument 500 /error/internalServerError.html
    ErrorDocument 503 /error/overloaded.html
    AliasMatch ^/~([^/]+)(/(.*))? /home/www/web3/user/$1/web/$3
    AliasMatch ^/users/([^/]+)(/(.*))? /home/www/web3/user/$1/web/$3
    </VirtualHost>
    #
    #
    #
    ...and I have to say, cudos to you guys for this amazing support!

6. nok

nok New Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. dfriis

dfriis New Member

bump

Seems this really is an issue. All I know is that I've followed the guide as carefully as I've could. This is still not working.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Maybe you should consider a clean re-install, and then don't try to change ISPConfig's web root after ISPConfig has been installed.
    It's hard to tell from here what's wrong on your system...

9. dfriis

dfriis New Member

I've done clean installs a lot of times now and the added domain and site has always pointed to the wrong docroot.

Could this be related to a dns problem or is it only due to the server being misconfigured?

It seems that the problem is that the server isn't loading the vhosts. When you visit the server by writing it's ip adress you should be directed to the sharedip folder, but I only see the main domain docroot anyway. Where ever I go I end up at what you see at http://friisonline.com.

And, btw, I am behind a router. Could it be related to that?

Is there some way to do a clean reinstall of just ispconfig so that I don't have to reinstall the system too?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  10. dfriis

dfriis New Member

I've now done a clean reinstallation of the ispconfig system and I still have the same problem. I have no errors in /var/log/apache2/error.log, apache2.conf has the ispconfig addons and it includes the Vhosts_ispconfig.conf, and Vhosts_ispconfig.conf looks alright to me.
    httpd -V gives the same as I reported earlier.
    Seems that no redirection works at all. When I browse the ip-adress I get that same docroot, but I should get the sharedip page, right?

11. falko

Yes, right.

Did you follow this tutorial? http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge

Did you do things differently than described in the tutorial?

12. dfriis

dfriis New Member

Yes, I followed that tutorial but no, I did nothing differently what I can tell. Since I haven't gotten this to work a few times I was careful not to make any mistakes and copy-pasted most of it.

As I've mentioned before my server is behind a router and the only thing I'm not sure about is when I should use my public ip and when to use my internal ip when configuring the server and dns settings. Could an error in the ip settings create the problem I'm having?

13. till

Yes, if your IP settings are incorrect you might get this error.

If you are in a NAT eviroment, always use your internal IP address. Only in the ISPConfig DNS-Manager you will have to use your external IP.

14. dfriis

dfriis New Member

Oh my...
    The problem was huge, but the solution was simple. I had my external ip put up instead of my internal. I'm sorry that I've caused you such troubles.
    The only problem I have now is that the web-ftp doesn't let me in but I'll fix that I guess.
    Thanks for all your help though, I'll go stand in the corner now.

15. mebusybody

mebusybody New Member

Hi falko
    I had the same error, the <Directory /home/www/*/web>... was NOT in my httpd.conf, I added in restart the server but still have the same error.

I started a new thread http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3756 regarding this. Should we continue with this thread or the other.

Thanks

16. falko