New To CentOS, Install /setup Probs

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by nution, Feb 1, 2010.

1. nution

nution New Member

Ok so I am going to start off by admitting I am in over my head it seems lol.

Here is my delima. I have all the information (IP /DNS / Netmask/ etc) for setting up the server to go to collocation.

But, setting it up with these settings HERE obviously makes an error when trying to update yum and download other installs / updates.

I am not 100% sure what I should use for these settings to setup here, then change them back before I send it?

I need to just get the OS installed and Apache/Cpanel /WHM installed and hopefully with that I can maneuver my way through the controls remotely as Cpanel is honestly the only interface I have experience with as far as webservers and without it I feel lost lol.

I just do not want to mess this up before sending it to collocation so it doesn't slow down the process so much. So, long question short, what features should I input when setting up eth0 in CentOS 5 Install? I am not 100% sure what IP, netmask, etc to use to get it to work as I have tried once to no avail.

Thank you so much for any suggestions or references.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you want to install the system in your local network, you must use a free local IP, your local netmask and your local gateway (your router's local IP). Before you send the server to your datacenter, you must change these settings and then pray that the server is accessible from the Internet (unless your hoster gives you a remote console from where you can fix the settings if they don't work).