newbie DNS questions

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Kankles, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Kankles

Kankles New Member

Howdo howto guys?

first of all, thanks for all the hard work you put in to helping us that don't know so well with our linux related questions. i just got hold of redhat fedora 4 after only previously using a knoppix boot cd for a few minutes and have found your guides and responses in here to be the whole basis of my linux education. sounds like the prime situation for a newbie don't it. well it turns out i find the best way to learn something your acctually going to be interested in is to jump right in. so i found some bits and built a seperate box and am having major difficulty getting it toaccept my wifi car but thats anouther story..

my prob is DNS. its the one area i'm really sketchy on. i registerd myself a domain and now i have control over that apparently. at least i can tell it which name servers i want it to use anyway.

so i presume if i want my domain to point to my fed 4 server which is behind a router then i need to set the name server on my registerd domain to my ip address and open my router to allow passage through to my server at 192.168.1.5? my router includes a dns server apparently.. perhaps i need that to deal with dns requests?

my other query is this; during setup, you can choose dhcp or set dns custom.
    my router has a dhcp server but i have set to perminantly lease the ip 192.168.1.5 to the mac address of my servers ethernet.
    so i continue as custom and set my static ip for this server to 192.168.1.5?
    then it asks me to enter my gateway and dns servers :confused: so i figure my router is my gateway, right? 192.168.1.1 i presume as non of my other p.c.s can lease that from it.

so what are my dns servers? is it asking me for the ip of a root dns server i.e. a.root-servers.net or something else?

i'm pretty clear on everything else and can get the server and ispconfig running fine (if i edit the ispconfig php file to my internal ip address), its just the dns that has me beat.

ty guys.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

It's not a DNS server, it's a DNS resolver, i.e., it asks other name servers.

You should always use a static IP address for a server.

That's right.

You can use any resolving name server that you know, e.g. the ones mentioned in the tutorial or the ones your ISP has given you. If your router rellay has a resolving name server, you can even use your router's IP address as name server.

3. Kankles

Kankles New Member

well i presume it has a resolver..

if i type nslookup in a windows command promt i get this back:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Kanks>nslookup
    Default Server: voyager.home
    Address: 192.168.1.1

oh, and the other thing is, i don't understand why we create the virtual interface eth0:0?

thanks for your response.

edit: i know this is a bit out of the juristiction of the howto but..
    my dns management tool has two items under the name servers heading.

1) nameserver config (primary and secondary, currently ns.hostingseries47.net and ns2.hostingseries47.net)
    2) at the bottom it says:
    "If you want to create or modify a nameserver which is based on yourdomain.co.uk click here."
    with the option to add a subdomain of yourdomain.co.uk and its ip address.

so am i putting ns.yourdomain.co.uk over the "ns.hostingseries47.net" or am i adding it as a sub domain?

thanks ever so much if you can help with this.. my hosts aren't very good to talk to.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  4. falko

This part is totally optional. This is just an example how you do it if you really need more than one IP address.

It seems as if your provider/registrar/whatever provides you managed DNS service which is a good thing. So I'd leave the name servers at ns.hostingseries47.net and ns2.hostingseries47.net.
    If you want to run your own name servers, you should have a static public IP address for them. You seem to be on a DSL line or something like this, so I don't know if you have a static IP address.

5. Kankles

Kankles New Member

no they don't manage it, there is nowhere for me to put my ip address. only the address of name servers i wish to use. this is why i either need to put my ip on a name server somewhere or direct to my dns server at my ip i guess.

6. falko

7. Kankles

Kankles New Member

thanks alot falko.

considering i only intend to have one domain for now, i suppose its best if i fork out the extra $$$ for managed dns.