Newbie hostname confusion mysql access denied

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by shanegriffiths, Aug 15, 2009.

1. shanegriffiths

shanegriffiths New Member

Hi All

I am a keen web developer that wanted to set up his own local dev server at home.

I have been following the tutorial on here: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-fedora-11-x86_64-ispconfig-2-p4

As you can see i am using fedora 11 but with 32bit i386 version

At the beginning i was pretty confused as to what my hostname should be. I am on a normal average joe home network with a sky (my ISP) router, DHCP, no domain just everything housed within a windows workgroup (called SGNET).

I decided to call the hostname "webdev" - i suspect i have gone wrong here lol

everything seemed fine until i installed mysql and tried to run the following command:

mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword

- i received an error saying: connect to server at 'webdev' failed error: 'access denied for user 'root'@' localhost' (using password: NO)

I think i am confused with what hostname is needed to put for my type of network. I am running DHCP through the router.

What i really want is to call my server dev.83pixels.com (which is the name of my website which is hosted with a proper hosting company but i thought i would start small and get everything working internally first before i look at external names.

If anyone could provide any help it would be much appreciated ! I really want to progress with Linux

Kindest regards

Shane

2. Franz

Franz Member

you nedd -p password option:

mysql -uuseeranme -ppasswprd

3. shanegriffiths

shanegriffiths New Member

Ahh , thats it ! thank you so much !!

I don't suppose you have any advice on hostnames ? Mine is called just webdev.

do you how i would eventually be able to use http://dev.83pixels.com ? will i need a static external IP / dynDNS ? - would this be configured on my hosting server ? (i.e. 123-reg)

Any help would be fantastic , thank you

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you have a dynamic IP, you can get a hostname from dyndns.org.