Newbie question - traffic monitoring

Discussion in 'General' started by Charlotte Chanty, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Charlotte Chanty

Charlotte Chanty New Member

Hi,

I've got a couple of newbie questions. I have installed ISPC and it looks good. I am in the process of learning how to use it before I put the server online.

As an ISP I have a lot of accounts that want internet access but are not interested in a web site. I am now charged for data through put and need to be able to monitor/notify/charge etc for traffic. ISPC looks to have traffic handling capabilities and billing for web sites but it is unclear if it will monitor through put other than what goes through the site.

I am also wondering if there are tutorials in this area. I am looking for both specific documentation and real world scenario/walkthrough information.

Thanks for your patience. :)

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

For total data in / out I use vnStat in combination with vnstat PHP frontend

It's easy to setup, and all needed info can be found on the websites!

3. Charlotte Chanty

Thanks for the info. I checked vnstat and the frontend. They don't go far enough. I need to be able to track each customer's usage and be able to send out a notice when they are reaching their data limit and bill for any usage above the limit.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

ISPConfig creates statistics about http, ftp, and email traffic. The big question, however, is how exact these statistics are. ISPConfig relies on what gets logged to the log files for creating these statistics. I'd try to compare the traffic reported by ISPConfig with the real traffic (i.e., the traffic you are charged for) and then make a decision if the ISPConfig statistics are exact enough.

5. Charlotte Chanty

Tracking customer internet traffic

Thanks falko,

I am going to use the vnStat combo that edge recommended as a check against what I get billed for but I am still wondering if ISPC has a way of tracking usage for the customers that have internet access but don't have a website. I know this may be a bit out of the venue of this forum, but if ISPC doesn't track this traffic, does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfid is a hosting control panel, so it tracks only traffic that goes to the services that falko listed above. To account traffic for a access provider, there will be most likely softeare packages that are suited better for that purpose.

7. gimmeaccessjim

gimmeaccessjim New Member

ha i found you

what the heck? thought you were an expert?

you couldda used a less obvious user name hahahaha

MES works well too to track usage

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

1.) Please treat other users with respect!
    2.) I'm not sure if your post is relevant.