Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by SidSkiba, Aug 26, 2005.

1. SidSkiba

SidSkiba New Member

I just installed ISP config following the SuSE how to and I must admit it is a very impressive piece of work. This is my first attempt at using Linux as a Web Host (not that I have done it a lot anyway). Very used to windows so a bit of a learning curve here.

My questions are related to some configuration needs as a result of my setup.

First the setup. I am behind a NAT firewall. I will forward only the ports required by the outside world. WWW, SSL, SMTP, POP, etc. Maybe FTP in the future.

All web development will be behind the NAT firewall and all ISP config access is behind the NAT Firewall.

My question is related to the web site of the ISP machine. For example (not using real domain names). ISPConfig Server is set up as webserver.domain.com. I have 1 web site on the machine called www.domain2.com. If I do http://webserver.domain.com the browser displays www.domain2.com site. Both are on the same IP address. If I use http://192.168.100.1 (IP of machine) it displays www.domain2.com.

domain.com would be a real internet domain. Thus I would like anyone going to the IP address or going to www.domain.com to see a site called www.domain.com and not www.domain2.com as it does now.

Is there a way to do this or what am I missing in the configuration?

Also I notice if I open up port 21 on the NAT and try doing ftp://www.domain.com that I cannot connect. I can connect fine with ftp://192.168.100.1 I am unsure if this is a NAT issue with ProFTP or something like that. Perhaps you can advise? I do not really need FTP access from outside today but may need it in the future.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you type in a URL in your browser that has no vhost entry in your Apache the Apache serves the first entry it can find. So you need to create a web site in ISPConfig for www.domain.com if you don't want that the web site of www.domain2.com shows up when you type www.domain.com in your browser.

Have you tried Passive transfers in your FTP client? Most often it solves Firewall problems.

3. SidSkiba

SidSkiba New Member

Thanks

Thanks Falko.

I think I see what is going on then.

I added the www.domain.com site and it works fine now.

I see in the Developers Forum there is a move to add a default site or page that is accessed by IP address. This is a good idea most certainly. Can I just add this to my Vhosts file in the meantime or could this cause a problem with ISPConfig and future upgrades. I saw your post in the ISPConfig roadmap on the topic.

I need to try FTP from a site outside my domain yet. Will advise if passive mode works.

Thanks for all your help.

Sid ;)