NewbyToLinux

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by NewbieToLinux, Aug 23, 2007.

1. NewbieToLinux

NewbieToLinux New Member

Im trying to install webmin on an Ubuntu 7.04 server. Ive followed the directions on this server, however after I dowload the package and try to extract it ( tar xcvf webmin-1.360.tar.gz). It gives me and error message that reads:

You may not specifiy more than one "-acdtrux"

So I tried "tar xvf webmin-1.360.tar.gz" and it tries to unpack several files but it gives me an error message on each line that reads:

cannot open: no file or directory

I havent enable the root account, the directions say it can be run without it. Any suggestions?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. NewbieToLinux

NewbieToLinux New Member

Damn

I cut and pasted it and it worked fine. I have gone over and over it looking for a typo but I cant see the difference in my typing and what I pasted from your manual. Oh well, I still feel stupid. Thanx for your help.

4. NewbieToLinux

NewbieToLinux New Member

SO CLose

Everything else went smooth, however I used the default port :1000 during the setup, and when I check "sudo netstat -tap"

Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 localhost:mysql *:* LISTEN 3782/mysqld
    tcp 0 0 *:webmin *:* LISTEN 4086/perl
    tcp 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN 3914/apache2
    tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN 3857/sshd
    tcp6 0 592 ::ffff:192.168.0.16:ssh ::ffff:192.168.0.1:1316 ESTABLISHED3946/sshd: randy [p

I dont see it listening on port 1000. how can I get it to listen on the port that I configured it to?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's the output of
    Code:
    grep webmin /etc/services
    ? BTW, the default webmin port is 10000, not 1000.