No cd-rom device

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by luke304, Feb 28, 2006.

1. luke304

luke304 New Member

when i'm intaling mandriva 2006 i boot from a floppy everything works until the loading ends and the instalation tires to acces the cd. I get a message that says "no cd-rom device" the madriva 2005 limitet ed. was deteting the cd rom fine, but after instaling it was freazing at pcmcia load. I have a toshiba satellite m45 s165. Im new to linux and i don't know much about it.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

When you boot from CD or disk you should have the choice to press F1 or F3 to see all available boot options. Try one of the other boot options.

3. luke304

luke304 New Member

non of the other options will work, how about the other problem with pcmcia freezing when loading into 2005 limited ed.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'd try to completely remove PCMCIA support from your Linux installation.

5. luke304

luke304 New Member

Once again im new to linux and i got no idea on how to do it.

6. geniusiknowit

geniusiknowit New Member

I am having the same issue, except I'm installing it onto a Vaio, and the cdrom drive (not bootable) is in the docking station.

I'm trying to setup a dual-boot with xp. I'm going to try an MSDOS boot disc to see if I can access the drive at all.

7. abdou

abdou New Member

This week end I installed Mandriva 2006 on a Toshiba Satellite M45.
    Try this :
    1 - When the computer is POSTing hit F12 and select CD drive as to boot from
    2 - In the first linux display, hit F1 and then type : linux noauto (this will prevent auto detection of the PC-components.)

3 - After the installation is complete, leave the proposed graphic card config. It will not work but the installation can be completed normaly and you can boot your linux in text mode.

So far, that's where I am. Trying to find out what to chose to make the display run fine. :)

Have a nice day !