No NICs

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by CarloZ, Aug 2, 2008.

1. CarloZ

CarloZ New Member

Hi.
    I have a new notebook on which i want to install fedora 8.
    The problem is that both ethernet (Attansic )and wifi (atheros) cards arent recognized.
    My idea was to manually download a driver for the wifi (around the web, they said with a recent madwifi driver it should be recognized) or the ethernet (this one apparently should work with a kernel update) and then install it. Once one of them works, i can connect to the network and finally download the tons of updates necessary.

Does anybody can tell me:
    - all the packages i have to download for the wifi (i checked livna.org, founding thousand of packages with kmod-madwifi: which one is best? also ndiswrapper needed?)
    - how to install these packages? (copy them on the nootebook from a USB key and then?)
    - kernel update: how can i update it without a network connection? i got the last one but once i try to install it, the installation ends with a message likely "can't retrieve installation information"

Thank you anticipately

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Why don't you use Fedora 9 instead? It has newer drivers than 8...

3. heymrdj

heymrdj Member

Good advice here. Like the new Ubuntu gave native support for my Intel 4965ABGN wireless card in my laptop, Fedora 9 is going to give you drivers the old 8 doesn't come with. Always use new releases with new hardware, it'll save you alot of headaches. :cool: