noob question....

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ikkem, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ikkem

ikkem Member

I installed the Lamp server on debian sarge my question is how do I launch a website I did some searching online with google/clusty but I could not find any info that I could use....
    thanks in advance....

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

What do you mean exactely?

3. ikkem

ikkem Member

hi....:)
    I wanted to know how to make a webpage visible to the outside world and is it the same situation on a desktop computer
    I am new to linux :eek: ....

4. sjau

Well, have apache installed, create an index.html in /var/www/ and then people can view it when they enter your IP address... you can view it by entering http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1

Next step would be that you use some dyndns service to get yourself a "domain name" or if you have a dedicated IP you can buy your own domain, setup a nameserver and run the domain through your computer.

It just depends on what you want to do...

5. ikkem

ikkem Member

thanks for reacting some things have become more clear now could someone please post a how to or a link to a how to I have not had any success in getting the right information yet....

thanks in advance....

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Is your server in a local network (behind a router)? Do you have dynamic IP addresses? If so, get a domain name at dyndns.org and make it point to your public IP address. Also tell your router to update that domain whenever your public IP address changes. That way, you can type your dyndns address into your browser to reach your web site.

7. ikkem

ikkem Member

Thanks for the info....:)
    I have a static IPadress at the moment I am trying this on a desktop when it works out I will setup a server I have a old packard bell computer that I can use....

8. falko

If you have a static IP address you can use whatever domain you like. All you have to do is make it point to your static IP address. :)

9. ikkem

ikkem Member

I see how should I do that....
    tried already but had no success yet :eek:
    thanks in advance....

10. falko

Register a domain and tell the registrar to which IP address it should point.

11. ikkem

ikkem Member

Thanks for reacting....:)
    Is it possible to host my own website or do you know a good host?

Thanks in advance....

12. falko

But that's what we're talking about... :confused:
    The answer is yes.

13. ikkem

ikkem Member

I see....:eek:
    What I wanted to ask is where can I register a domain and is there info i can read ?
    thanks in advance....

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  14. falko

There are some big registrars where you can register your own domain, like GoDaddy, DirectI, eNom, etc. Usually you can register com, net, org, info, name, etc. domains there. If you need a country TLD, you might have to search for other registrars (usually in that country).

15. ikkem

ikkem Member

Is it possible to run your own dns service in order to host your own domain name or does it not work like that....
    thanks in advance....

16. sjau

yes you can... :) but for this you'd probably need two dedicated ip addresses... well, some domain registrar allow to have the two nameserver point to one ip address... but that's not always the case...
    So depending on where you have registered your domain name you will need to have 1 or 2 dedicated IP addresses :)

17. Leszek

Leszek Member

18. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Or use DynDNS services

19. ikkem

ikkem Member

thanks to all for reacting....:)
    I have been reading up on the subject and have found bind9 to be rather difficult to setup could someone please provide me with links....
    The how to's here got me started on a lot of Linux related subjects and are working for me

20. falko

Take a look at the DNS section: http://www.howtoforge.com/taxonomy_menu/1/8
    That should get you started. :)