Not Delivering Emails with attachments

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dtrotter, Aug 23, 2006.

1. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

I recently tried sending an email from one of the four domains on my Ubuntu 6.0.6 box. I am running ISPConfig and Postfix. Here is what happened:

I sent an email to my dad with a MS Word attachment at a Hotmail address (twice), and he never got it. I sent the same email to his work email address, and it never got there. I sent the same email again to both addresses MINUS the attachment and they were delivered within minutes.

I double checked the postfix config files to make sure that I was not using neader or body checks to block emails with attachments, and I am not (unless they are kept somewhere other than /etc/postfix/).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Devin

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When you send an email from a ISPConfig server, the content or attachechments where not checked at all by the ISPConfig server.

Do you run your server at home on a DSL line or something like that?

3. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

Yes I do, but it is a business class DSL with Static IP. I never had troubles before adding a 4th domain to the box. I actually dont seem to be receiving all email either.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Does the same happen when you send the Word documents as a zip file?

What's in your mail log?

5. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

Something was stripping all attachments of all kinds (doc, zip, aif, mp3, txt, cpt, hqx, sea, etc etc etc). I then also started having more problems with NO incoming email. It all started after adding a fourth domain. I removed that domain and all references to it, but the problem persisted. I ended up reinstalling ISPConfig and Postfix, and the problem was still there. I finally just reinstalled the OS, applications, and client data from the backup right before the problem started and everything is fine now. All I can guess is something just flaked out. Thanks for all of your input though! I do appreciate it.

I just hope soon I can help someone else out to repay the help I have received here.

Cheers!

Devin

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you activated the "Mailscan" option in this email account. Mailscan is for stripping / renaming files that may contain a virus. Mailscan is not the same then the antivirus and spamfilter option.

7. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

I don't recall activating that option, but I may have inadvertently. I will check it out and see if I recognize the option. That would make sense though I guess. But would it also not allow incoming email without attachments?

Devin

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Mailscan is for incoming mails, but not for mails you send.