Number of allowed domains times 2?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cstone, Oct 10, 2005.

1. cstone

cstone New Member

Question - why is the allowed domains for a client or reseller seem to be set times 2? I have, for example a reseller with 10 allowed domains. He sets up a client with 1 allowed domain, but upon saving, the 1 is changed to 2 and the reseller stats shows 2 domains used. If I try and set it to 1 for the client, ISPConfig says that I cannot.

What's the logic behind this and am I missing something?

Chris

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I assume you set up one website (www.domain.com) with a Co-Domain (domain.com). This are 2 Domains.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Whenever you create a web site www.domain.com, the Co-Domain domain.com is added automatically, so that 2 domains are used. You can delete the Co-Domain (you also have to delete it from the recycle bin), and then you can decrease the domain limit to 1.

4. cstone

cstone New Member

What is the precise definition of 'Co-Domain'?

In this case, www.domain.com is a hostname, not a domain really. The domain is domain.com with a host named www.domain.com.

So, if www.domain.com is seen as a Co-Domain, then why is mail.domain.com not seen as a Co-Domain, but rather it is seen as a the hostname that it is....?

Confusion lingers..... :confused:

5. falko

When you create/edit a web site in ISPConfig, you'll notice the tab "Co-Domains". There you can enter additional domains under which you can reach the web site.

6. cstone

cstone New Member

Right, but why is www.domain.com considered a domain rather then the hostname that it really is.

By 'Co-Domain' do you mean subdomain? But still, in most cases, I see the www.domain.com a hostname rather than a domain name.....or subdomain. A subdomain, if www.domain.com, might really be www.sub.domain.com.....

Chris

7. falko

8. cstone

cstone New Member

I concur - partly. www.example.com is a hostname with a domain of example.com. And, www.example2.com is a hostname with example2.com a domain. And, www.company.tld is a hostname with mycompany.tld being the domain.

Partly symantecs I suppose, but with the current 'definition' of a domain in ISPConfig, I need to double what I want for resellers - If I want them to have 10 domains (using my definition), then I need to allocate them 20 in ISPConfig....

Chris

9. falko

We could have named the tab "Hostnames & Domains" or something different, but I think it's too long, and most users don't have an idea what a hostname or domain (or the difference between these) is.

There's a control panel (I think it's CPanel) where a web site is called "Domain" - you see it could be worse... :D

10. cstone

cstone New Member

Well, mainly I am just trying to figure out what you have here and understand the logic and symantics behind it.

Thanks for the explanations.

Chris