Opened ports?

Discussion in 'General' started by ctroyp, Sep 27, 2005.

1. ctroyp

ctroyp New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I ran the port test in the control panel and it came up with the following results:
    Code:
        Port 21 (tcp) is open (ftp)!
        Port 22 (tcp) is open (ssh)!
        Port 25 (tcp) is open (smtp)!
        Port 80 (tcp) is open (http)!
        Port 81 (tcp) is open (unknown)!
        Port 110 (tcp) is open (pop3)!
        Port 111 (tcp) is open (sunrpc)!
        Port 139 (tcp) is open (netbios-ssn)!
        Port 143 (tcp) is open (imap)!
        Port 443 (tcp) is open (https)!
        Port 445 (tcp) is open (microsoft-ds)!
        Port 631 (tcp) is open (ipp)!
        Port 993 (tcp) is open (imaps)!
        Port 995 (tcp) is open (pop3s)!
        Port 3306 (tcp) is open (mysql)!
    Does this look correct?

2. domino

domino New Member

If you never access SSH outside of the network, I suggest closing SSH port. Port 139 looks questionable.

3. ctroyp

There is a chance I will be using SSH in the future, but I don't need it now. I will go ahead and close it.

I thought the 139 was questionable as well, but after researching it, it looks like Samba uses it. I am running Samba on my Linux server.

Actually, I ran this test locally at the server from the ISP control panel. Is this showing the ports opened on the local IP or is it an actual test of ports that were successfully accessed from outside my LAN?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is a portscan on localhost.

5. ctroyp

I thought it was, but wanted to make sure.

Thank you!

6. domino

domino New Member

Here is a link to scan your server from the outside. It will basically scan knows ports that can be seen from outside of your network. Don't be allarmed if it warns you of open ports. That's why you are running a server :D . Just click on: Proceed --> Contunue --> All Service Ports

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I mentioned to close SSH. I meant close it from being accessed from outside of your network if you are not accessing it through the internet :).

7. ctroyp

I have used the Shields Up program before. It showed that everything was in order. Thanks for the reference.

Do you know, is there a way to manually enter a WAN IP directly instead of it reading your currently WAN IP? I am not at my server at the moment but would like to test it. I would be surprised if you could enter an IP to test since it would give hackers a tool to probe the web for potentially open networks...

8. domino

domino New Member

As far as I know, I have not seen an online public scanner that will target a particular IP and port. Thats what Nmap "Network Mapper" tools are used for :)

9. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

what you can try if you really want t otry this online scanners is, ssh to your server and go surfing with lynx (textbased broswer ) :D a lot of fun in there, although I have to admit I did not succeed because I didn't read the man lynx pages, but it should work...

10. domino

domino New Member

I was forced to use lynx last night because Webmin would only allow access to localhost when first installed :(. I had to use lynx (fun!) to config Webmin. I love the graphics :D.