Opening Ports in Fedora to allow Bittorent

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sbovisjb1, Mar 21, 2006.

1. dishawjp

dishawjp New Member

If you prefer a "fancier" GUI way to configure iptables, there is this:

http://www.fs-security.com/

program. It's called Firestarter, uses a wizard to help you throught firewall configuration and has some additional functionality as well. I've never used it myself, but my kids use it on their Linux boxes and they have good things to say about it.

Like Falco, I tend to just write the rules and/or use vi to edit the actual iptables rules file.

Jim

2. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Thank You!!

Yes i completley agree with you... i you commands to edit my iptables, but it does not seem to be working... For Azureus there are some tricky and complicated things i have to allow APART from the desired port (56912) and so on. It would be nice to use this so that i can fiddle with a few settings trying to get them to work. I have my iptables disabled as of now and in my opinion that does not front very good security. Well thank you for all the help you users have given me. I think that i should let this thread die on its own. If any one wants to add any comments ill be glad to answer. My reasons for this is because i believe that their isnt much more to discuess going short of deviating of the topic...

THANK YOU AGAIN

3. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Ummm yeah

If you have not already opened tcp ports 6881 through 6999 in your Fedora firewall for another bittorrent application such as the one described above open the terminal. Type:

su -

Hit enter. Type your root password. Hit enter. Type:

/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 6881:6999 -j ACCEPT

Hit enter. This adds a rule to open TCP ports 6881 through 6999 in your firewall. These ports are required by bittorent and/or Azureus. Type:

/sbin/iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Hit enter. This saves the rule. You must also open udp port 6881 for Azureus. Type:

/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 6881:6881 -j ACCEPT

Hit enter. This adds a rule to open UDP port 6881 in your firewall. Type:

/sbin/iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Hit enter. This saves the rule. Type:

/sbin/iptables -L

Hit enter. This will output your iptables file so you can see if the rule was saved. Type:

cd /home/your_user_name

Hit enter. Type:

tar xvfj *.tar.bz2

Hit enter. Type:

rm *.bz2

Hit enter. Type "y" and hit enter. Type:

cd azureus

Hit enter. Type:

./azureus

Hit enter. Azureus will open. Configure your preferences in the dialog box presented and update the plugin if asked. (If you get an error later when auto-updating you may have to log in as root (type "su -" in a terminal, hit enter, type your root password, hit enter), change to your home directory (cd /home/your_user_name), and run azureus as root temporarily to successfully update.) When you click on a ".torrent" file in Firefox you will be presented with a dialog box. Click the radio button "open with" and click the checkbox "Do this automatically for files like this form now on", then click the "browse" button in the dialog box (or the down arrow on the left side of the text window and select "other") and browse to "home" > "azureus", double click on "azureus" and select "azureus". Click "open". Click "OK". This will allow you to download ".torrent" files from within Firefox. Note: If you choose to download your files into a hidden directory such as the /home/your_user_name/.Azureus/shares folder you will have to click on "View" > "Show hidden files" in "Places" > "Home Folder" to get to them in the file browser.

Then type bash shell programming books torrents into google and you'll be in business. :)