OpenVPN and IPv6 routing?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by WhitcombeRD, Apr 1, 2015.

1. WhitcombeRD

WhitcombeRD Member

I've got a working IPv4 OpenVPN setup working on my VPS allowing devices to connect and route all internet traffic through so that part is fine.
    I'm trying to use it to natively route IPv6 for clients as well and have problems i suspect route related.

The VPS itself has a /64 address block allocated to it (eth0 is using 2001:42d8:1:5886::f9/64). This part works as i can ping6 and my www/email and so on listen on the IPv6 and respond so thats fine.

In the OpenVPN client side (Windows and Android) ive added tun-ipv6
    In the OpenVPN server side i've added the following:-

tun-ipv6
    server-ipv6 2001:42d8:1:5886:123::f9/64
    push "route-ipv6 2001:42d8:1:5886::f9"
    push "route-ipv6 2000::/3"

On restarting i can successfully connect to the VPN and from the client side i can ping6 both the tunnel server ipv6 and the eth0 address.
    However, i cannot ping6 the client address from the server. The packet is just dropped.
    The main problem is from the client although i can access the tunnel and eth0 ipv6 i cannot access any sites outside that network so no internet routing at all.
    Im assuming ive messed up somewhere in my server or pushes and have a routing issue somewhere but im completely unable to find it.

Can anyone suggest where im going wrong here?

(yes ive randomised some of the IP addresses here so they're not my real ones posted)