Outgoing email problems

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Sarcha, Aug 2, 2006.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

So you have a 32bit system, not a 64bit one. The tutorial was written for 64bit systems. The only difference between the systems is that you must put

Code:
    pwcheck_method: saslauthd
    mech_list: plain login
    into /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf instead of /usr/lib64/sasl2/smtpd.conf.

Please do that now and restart Postfix and saslauthd.

2. Andee63

Andee63 New Member

Thanks falko
    I had already gathered the difference between the two was the folder so I had already made the swap

3. Andee63

Andee63 New Member

This is how I think I need to set up the mx records and dns

SETTINGS AT ISP SIDE
    bookowl.co.uk mxrecord points to server1.elmtreedesign.co.uk

I then have a A record which points to 194.106.43.87 which is my public ip address

SETTINGS IN ISPCONFIG
    bookowl.co.uk mx record points to mail.bookowl.co.uk

mail.bookowl.co.uk then points to pop.bookowl.co.uk c-name

pop.bookowl.co.uk then points to 127.0.0.1 a-record

This is my understanding of it. Am I right? If not can you put me right.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Why dont you setup ISPConfig as you described the ISP side?

This setup is correct for ISPConfig too:

5. Andee63

Andee63 New Member

Thanks till for that. I am still not getting any incoming. I did a port check at grc.com using shields up and they report that the port is stealth proberbly just times out. I have also done a check at canyouseeme.org and they report the connection timed out but occasionally reports that connection was refused. Is there anyway of opening the port easily to do a simple test so that I can iliminate all other external areas ie router/firewall (although this is off at moment). My isp has confirmed they dont block port 25.

6. Andee63

Andee63 New Member

Finally got incoming connection to email server. The problem turned out to be a typo in the ip address on my router. I had 182.169.#.# instead of 192.168.#.#
    You can imagine what I called myself lol.

Just to check over everything now.

Thanks guys for your help

7. schenkman

schenkman New Member

I know this is an old post but in my search of trying to find out why I had that exact error of:

Code:
    Apr 14 18:03:08 flamingweasel postfix/smtp[17932]: fatal: specify a password table via the `smtp_sasl_password_maps' configuration parameter
    Is due to a typo in your configuration that goes undetected (very similar to writing C or C++ code and doing variable assignment with '=' where you meant to do conditional testing with '=='). The line you have is:

Code:
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    Where you want it to be:

Code:
    smtp[B]d[/B]_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    The omission of the letter 'd' there has made my life very difficult, but that's the answer to the fatal error in the log file.

-schenkman

8. krizze

krizze New Member

@schenkman:

Thanks for saving my day :)