own web for subdomain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dongle, Dec 9, 2005.

1. dongle

dongle New Member

Hello all,

I want to know if I can do own webspace and IP for a subdomain cause I want to setup a groupware in a subdomain.
    Is that possible ? How is that managed in ispconfig?

tia

stefan

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Sure, no problem. For example, if you want to have a web site sub.example.com, you create a web site in ISPConfig with the host name sub and the domain example.com.
    ISPConfig will automatically create example.com as a Co-Domain so you better remove it from there as example.com is typically assigned to www.example.com.

3. dongle

dongle New Member

okay, thats all clear. But I dont want a mapping from sub.domain.tld to domain.tld.
    I want own webspace and own IP for sup.domain.tld.

How can I do this?

tia

stefan

4. IntnsRed

IntnsRed Member

Test it out. Let's say you already have a site, www.example.com.

Just create a new site, only instead of making it "www.example.com" you're going to name it something like "groupware.example.com".

You'll probably want to avoid creating DNS for the new sub-domain, since you've already got one made for www.example.com and can just edit that.

Once you create the new groupware.example.com, click on the Co-Domains tab and delete the entry for "example.com" (because the www.example.com already has one for it).

Once you do those steps you'll have a fully independent sub-domain. It will have its own web space, it's own quotas, etc.

On ones that I create, I usually set up a user for this so that the sub-domain's files are "owned" by another GNU/Linux system user.

5. dongle

dongle New Member

okay, thanks that works!!

stefan

6. newzen

newzen New Member

how i can create a sub-domain for a no-ip domain,
    ex. sub.dom.no-ip.com, explain with all detail you can.

Thank, im a very newbird in Linux ans in linux fedora core 4

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

First, you have to register sub.dom.no-ip.com at no-ip.com, and then you simply create a new web site for sub.dom.no-ip.com in ISPConfig, with sub as host and dom.no-ip.com as domain.

8. danf.1979

danf.1979 Member

Falko, were is the php code that generates the co-domain with host="" as in example.com? I wanto add another automatic co-domain generated (ftp.example.com).
    Thanks...

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Dont mix up Co-Domains with DNS records. If you add a co-domain ftp.example.com it means that you create an additional alias for the apache vhost. If you want to get FTP access to ftp.example.com you must add an A or CName record in the DNS manager.

The code for form actions like adding co-domains is in the directory:

/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/classes/

The is a file named ispconfig_isp_web.inc.php (or similar, dont remember the exact name).

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The correct filename is:

ispconfig_isp_web.lib.php