Partition help.. Ubuntu laptop.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by xciso, Jun 5, 2014.

1. xciso

xciso Member

Hello.
    I bought a laptop for a week ago with Win7.

Today i have upgrade my RAM memory from 4gb to 8gb, and I also had a OCZ Agility SSD 60gb that I dont need so i installed that too.

I have ordered a HDD caddy, so i can take away my DVD player and insert the orginal HDD drive as a second drive, but i think it is 2 week away from me. :(

Now I will install the latest version 14.04 Ubuntu Desktop.

But. Here comes my problem.
    How should i set up my partitions?

/ - How big?
    /home - How big?
    /swap - Do I need swap?

Can someone please help me with this.
    Btw. When I get my HDD caddy, what should i partition that for?
    It is 80gb, and I want both linux, and windows users to get access to the files there. Movies, documents.. Share files..

Please help!
    Thanks.

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Refer installation guide of here

For this you can make samba sharing which both windows & linux users can access.
    Refer my samba tutorial

3. xciso

xciso Member

Hello.
    I have missed that guide.
    But in this guide he recommend to do one big / partition.
    Is that recommended? I think its better to have one separate /home, and i cant find if he use swap or not.

4. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

It means that every thing is mounted over / partition.

You can use a separate /home partition but /home is default home directory, so make it large otherwise in future it can run out of space.

For swap part I will say that in general whenever you are installing swap manually , you need to make it double the value of your system's RAM.

5. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

depending on what you want to do, you probably don't need swap. ON my notebook I have 16GB Ram and I don't use swap. Futhermore, since I like my SSD and don't want to waste space, I also mount /tmp and /var/log and /var/tmp as tmpfs... so they use ram instead of diskspace.

6. xciso

xciso Member

I did like this:

/ 25gb
    /home 30gb
    no swap.

For now i only have one 60gb SSD, but when the HDD caddy comes, i can install a second drive, and that will be for music, movies, and more..
    Hibernate is good that i dont need to open all programs each time, but i think i can live without it. It start so quick so i dont care about hibernate.
    And if i want hibernate in the future i can make a swap in the second drive. It is a normal 2.5" HDD with 7200rpm, so its quick anyway.

7. woles

woles New Member

good information

[​IMG]

thanks
    i need this solve too