Passwd File

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by latcarf, Aug 28, 2005.

1. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I am having issues (I think) regarding users. When I look at /etc/passwd there are 4 users that I think I have created along the journey to learning Linux. How do I clear these and then only establish only one for myself? Are there possibly passwords connected to them? One of the four appears to be one I set as a user (Lance) when I installed FC4 but when I try to use it with my user (password) to log into ProFTP I get a login error.

This may be connected to the fact that when I log into Linux as a normal user and then through the console log in as su I can't use commands such as service. I get bash: service: command not found.

just confused
    Lance

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Add users with the
    Code:
    adduser USERNAME
    command.

You can remove users with the
    Code:
    deluser YOURUSERNAME
    command.

3. latcarf

latcarf New Member

thanks till

Can I assume that will also remove any associated password connected with that user or will it even matter?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, it will remove the complete shell user. But dont delete users you created with ISPConfig on the shell!

5. latcarf

latcarf New Member

got it! thanks again.

I elected not to use ISPConfig at this time. As a newbie to Linux I want to learn it before I jump off on another learning adventure. I am only hosting my site and don't plan on expanding in the to near future. I can see where it is a great help to those that want to host multiple sites though. Configuring named (DNS) manually seems to be a challenge for even experienced users!