PEAR Support with Perfect Setup SuSE 9.3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by SidSkiba, Aug 30, 2005.

1. SidSkiba

SidSkiba New Member

Can anyone advise what I need to do to add PEAR to the Perfect Suse Setup? I want to add PHPList and need to have PEAR HTTP_Request installed. Way beyond me as they say is included in PHP5. Yet I get a Bash error when I try to run pear? :(

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you installed the pear packege from SuSe?
    What is the exact error message?

3. SidSkiba

SidSkiba New Member

Pear

I log in as root and do (forgive me as I am not a Linux expert yet)

pear install HTTP_Request

I get a bash error saying something like unknown or does not exist.

I assumed that to mean that Pear was not installed. My SuSE setup was done as a minimal graphical setup and then followed the Perfect SuSE 9.3 Setup to add the Apache and PHP components.

I do not know where apt gets the package from but according to Pear site the following may be the case:

When using PHP >= 4.3.0, the PEAR Package Manager is already installed unless one has used the ./configure option --without-pear

So I thought I might try adding the Pear installer with:

lynx -source http://go-pear.org/ | php

It did not work. I got an error saying php was unknown or something like that. I realise today that I have PHP 5 so I should have tried:

lynx -source http://go-pear.org/ | php5

That is about where I got to.

I did not try SuSE Yast2 to add pear (did not think to try). I tried apt-get install pear and it failed. But I did not know the exact message to use.

If I use Yast2 will Pear be compatible with PHP5? SuSe comes with PHP4.

I had used the apt-get install for the PHP packages (per the Perfect Setup) and not sure if that should have added Pear?

Any suggestions would be great.

4. till

If you followed the setup, pear is already installed:

apt-get install php5-bcmath php5-bz2 php5-calendar php5-ctype php5-curl php5-dba php5-dbase php5-dbx php5-debuginfo php5-dio php5-dom php5-fam php5-filepro php5-ftp php5-gd php5-gettext php5-gmp php5-iconv php5-imap php5-ldap php5-mbstring php5-mcrypt php5-mhash php5-mysql php5-mysqli php5-ncurses php5-odbc php5-openssl php5-pcntl php5-pgsql php5-posix php5-readline php5-shmop php5-snmp php5-soap php5-sockets php5-sqlite php5-sysvsem php5-tokenizer php5-wddx php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl php5-yp php5-zlib php5-exif php5-fastcgi php5-pear php5-sysvmsg php5-sysvshm ImageMagick curl (1 line!)

If you want to use PHP on the commandline, you have to install the comandline version of PHP:

apt-get install php5-cli

5. SidSkiba

SidSkiba New Member

Thanks till

Thanks a bunch. I will try that.

It is absolutely awesome that you guys can and are willing to answer these types of questions. I see a lot of them are outside of the ISPConfig arena and are often related to OS configs or network problems. Yet you guys are there with good solid answers each time. Thank you again for your help. ;)

6. SidSkiba

SidSkiba New Member

php5-cli package

I did the apt-get install php5-cli and it couldn't find package. Did an apt-get update and checked the sources file. All looked fine and tried again. Would not work.

Any suggestions?

7. SidSkiba

SidSkiba New Member

Well - Not sure

Well, I this time tried:

lynx -source http://go-pear.org/ | php5

It installed completely.

Now I could do the:

pear install HTTP_Request

Installed completely.

I still get an error with PHPList (says HTTP/Request not installed). Did a reboot even and still nothing. I am about to give up on PHPList. I am sure it is installed now but something still not right.

Anyone know of another mailing list (Newsletter) manager?

8. till

Have you tried Mailgust? We are using it for the ISPConfig newsletter.

9. till

In most linux distros the name is php5-cli, maybe it has a different name on SuSe.

In such a case, you can search the apt package database with the command atp-cache search followed by the string you are searching. To get all php5 related packages, you can run:

Code:
    apt-cache search php5