Perfect How-To for Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by domino, Aug 25, 2005.

1. domino

domino New Member

I plan on migrating to Mac/Intel platform before Christmas. At this point, trying to put together a roadmap is the most important. ISPConfig is in the map. I was wondering if the script will install fine on Mac OSX with Apache 2.x, PHP, and MySQL installed.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

We haven't tried this, so you're the first one... :D
    But because Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD I think there are some differences between this OS and Linux so it might not work on your first try.
    I think the firewall wil not work because it's based on iptables, and the Mac OSX firewall will be different... :(

3. domino

domino New Member

Ok, I agree with the firewall. But not allot of companies are running or thinking about running a web server on a Mac :D. I was hoping for an How-To for a home user like myself. My DSL router has a firewall the forward requests to my AP which has a firewall that forward requests to my Linux server on Virtual OS.

Now that I know how to install APF and BFD on a production server, I am not using a Linux firewall any longer because my hardware firewall takes care of that. I think it is in the admins of this site's best interests to think about doing a writeup on Mac within the next few months or so. There are allot of windows/apache users out there. We all know apache is a memory hog in windows and running apache native with Mac on an Intel platform would be peachy. It would be like running a service in the background that doesn't affect the speed.

I am extensively researching the possibilities of running Mac on an Intel platform and have decided to buy a Mac/Intel when it is released. For now, I can live with my Shuttle XPC running naive Mac OSX. I don't plan on dumping ISPConfig any time soon and it would be just wonderful if ISPC was compiled on Mac OSX by this time next year ;).