Perfect Server Setup without control panel

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by Keeper, May 25, 2010.

1. Keeper

Keeper New Member

I would like to see a howto feature a perfect server setup of fedora and debian, but without management tools like ISPConfig, Webmin, CPanel, etc. A guide that covers hints and tips how to set up virtual hosts, DNS records, email, log file rotation and all the stuff by hand that are usually set up by control panel software.

I'm sure many people would be interested to see how one would efficiently set up a server without aid of control panel software. Especially those who want minimal setups by installing and setting up only what they really need. :)

2. toffie

toffie Member

I agree on this, it would be fun to see whats "behind" the actual control panels and learn those things as well as knowing how to install with a control panel.

Sure, you can read up on that on the web and so, no doubt.
    But the Howtos here, especially those by falko, they are mainly the ones I see, are awesome :)

3. Romoku

Romoku New Member

Consolidating these basic howtos would make it easier since I wouldn't need to waste time googling basic stuff like SRV records (for dns), zone xfers, and other basic stuff.

It would also be nice to have more advanced tutorials, maybe even video tutorials. I wouldn't mind making a few myself.

4. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

I agree on this as well and as far as videos I would pay for some videos on ISPCONFIG 3! I myself learn better seeing and doing not reading but I have to say the guides here have been the ones for me that have done it! They can't be beat!

5. zcworld

zcworld New Member

but there is a lot of pros and cons of this

if your learning how to do like DHCP it can be a nightmare to get it to work for the first time , same as DNS when you are trying to make records and trying to get BIND to start and its just wants to fail ..

but the best way to learn how the stuff is done , is use like webmin and than look at the files that you just make to see how / whats in there and try to add new records yourself

for myself i can do the apache vhost editing on the fly , without any GUI/web tools there.
    but for the DNS i still use webmin to save time

just my 2 cents

6. asilva

asilva New Member

Yes!

Well, i have seen many howtos and tutorials over the years, but howtoforge is the first i ever subscribed to, happy to pay 5 euros per month for quality howtos like this guys make here. Keep them coming! :)

7. Brook

Brook New Member

Is there any news about this? I'd love to see a How-to without a control panel. Usual lamp and email would be great!

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

LAMP and email tutorials without controlpanel are already available here on howtoforge.