Perfect Server Ubuntu12.04 release upgrade - Wordpress sites now broken

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by rmccain, May 5, 2015.

1. rmccain

rmccain New Member

To make a long story short, my web server hosting about 30 domains was originally built using the "Perfect Server Ubuntu 12.04 ---etc" and had been purring along until about a month ago (with weekly patches) when it became the target of low grade Denial of Service attacks that would lock up the server - IOTOP showed as many as 10 instances of Apache continuously reading the hard drive at one time. I went through many recursions of adding IP address block drops to the firewall (mostly Chinese IPs, but as those were eventually closed the attackers started routing through TOR nodes and using scattered botnet nodes), modifying Apache to reduce timeouts, etc. but it never really stopped for more than a few hours at a time.
    So I gritted my teeth and ran "do-release-upgrade" in hopes newer software might help. After the usual debugging I was able to get Apache 2.4 running and all the conventional html sites now work. HOWEVER, all the Wordpress sites are broken with 500 errors, and Apache does not want to stop and start cleanly - it is giving PID error messages
    Here is a typical Apache error log entry
    [Mon May 04 21:04:07.772916 2015] [:error] [pid 7147] [client 50.196.158.93:59755] SoftException in Application.cpp:299: Script "/home/../index.php" resolving to "/home/../index.php" not within configured docroot
    [Mon May 04 21:04:07.775012 2015] [core:error] [pid 7147] [client 50.196.158.93:59755] End of script output before headers: index.php
    I'm guessing that the problem is NOT within Apache or Wordpress, but in the php scripts that glue Apache, MySQL and Wordpress together. Specifically, I may have some remnants of the ISPConfig code floating around that seem to be the disconnects.

Does anyone have some insight as to how to troubleshoot this mess?

2. larsvansante

larsvansante New Member

Have you tried resynching the websites through ispconfig > tools >resync ?
    I had something similar when trying to upgrade from wheezy to jessie.

3. rmccain

rmccain New Member

I can no longer login to ispconfig. Since I don't run a hosting server with billing options, I've never used it much. Is there any kind of command line option that can be used to accomplish a resync?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The resyn is only possible from with ispconfig. Did you run a ispconfig update after you updated the os and let it reconfigure the services?

5. rmccain

rmccain New Member

No, I haven't. It has to have been a year or more since I used ISPConfig and I forgot it was on the server. My normal server operations are run through Webmin.

While running the ispconfig_update.sh command, I received Error 1049(42000): unknown database dbispconfig. Unable to read server configuration from database. (there is no such database listed in MySQL).

What do I do now?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig cant work when you deleted its database. When you have no backup then you can only try to fix your website files manually as your ispconfig install is lost without the database, so there is no data anymore that ispconfig can use to fix your setup.

7. rmccain

rmccain New Member

There is a backup that is 2 years old. No idea why it isn't currently active, but I restored it and ispconfig ran without errors. Now rebooting server.

8. rmccain

rmccain New Member

So now Apache will not start - errors are:
    AH00548: NameVirtualHost has no effect and will be removed in the next release /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.conf:62
    AH00548: NameVirtualHost has no effect and will be removed in the next release /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.vhost:7
    (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:8080

The first 2 seem to be more of a warning than anything else, so I remarked out those lines.
    The last seems directly related to ispconfig and is preventing Apache from starting. If I temporarily remove the 000xxx.xxx files in sites enabled, Apache will start. So what I seem to have is a dbispconfig database that does not reflect the new versions of Ubuntu, Apache, etc.

Since I am not allowing any users to control the web sites and www-data owns all the sites, do I really need ispconfig? If not, how to remove it so the wordpress sites actually work? And what is the manual configuration needed without ispconfig?

Last edited: May 5, 2015