PHP additional versions

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rickconn, Oct 18, 2020.

1. rickconn

rickconn New Member

Hello and thank you for all your work and support.

I have:
    ISPConfid3 3.1.16p2
    Debian 9
    When I first installed I used a 'Perfect Server' how-to and I followed a howtoforge tutorial to install additional php versions.
    I believe it was this one: www.howtoforge.com /tutorial/how-to-install-php-5.6-and-7.1-on-debian-9-stretch
    I installed php5.6, php7.1 and 7.2 as additional versions, compiled from source installed in /opt.

My debian 9 install came with php 7.0
    My Joomla sites are all wanting php7.4 now and suggests:
    Your PHP version, 7.2.2, is only receiving security fixes from the PHP project at this time. This means your PHP version will soon no longer be supported. We recommend planning to upgrade to a newer PHP version before it reaches end of support on 2020-11-30

I'm not confident how to now add php7.4, I have looked at the 'sury' upgrade tutorial, but most sites I have installed are currently using the 'additional php7.2' version I added.

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way forward.

As always, thank you.

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think you should install and use sury php and remove your manual php installation because the former is considered safe and easier to maintain and update.

rickconn likes this.
  3. rickconn

rickconn New Member

Thank you ahrasis,
    I was hoping to avoid the downtime, have numerous ites on that server, almost all using 'additional versions'.
    I can test each to see if I can revert them back to php7.0 in the short term.
    Do you think just removing /opt/php-5.6 /opt/php-7.1 and /opt/pp-7.2 and removing them from ISPConfig is enough?
    After compiling from source I performed the 'make install', I'm not sure what may have been copied elswhere if anything.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

To avoid downtime, install sury php first and set them in ISPConfig server settings. When they are all ready, you can set each websites to use the newly installed sury php. Only after that remove the manually compiled php.

Jesse Norell and rickconn like this.
  5. rickconn

rickconn New Member

That makes me a lot more comftable thank you, much appreciated.