php sendmail

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by ColdDoT, Feb 11, 2006.

1. ColdDoT

ColdDoT Member

Hallo i have only experiance on windows so i dunno how to set up postfix to work with php

so how do i do that and my smtp server needs autencation.

so who can help me out here

greets colddot

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You dont have to configure PHP at all to send emails trough the local MTA (postfix or sendmail) on a Linux server.

Please explain the problem you experience a bit more. Can you send emails with the postfix daemon on your server when you use a normal email client like outlook?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can simply use PHP's mail() function. It should work without problems.

4. ColdDoT

ColdDoT Member

That i know but you must set in the php ini file how you send you mail now it is set on the windows localhost and smtp port 25

it works only takes to send a mail 5 min is that not to much ?

5. falko

The default php.ini settings should work for sending mails without problems. Please don't change them!
    For me the php.ini settings are as follows:

Code:
    [mail function]
    ; For Win32 only.
    SMTP = localhost
    smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
    ;sendmail_from = [email protected]

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
    ;sendmail_path =

6. ColdDoT

ColdDoT Member

ok thx
    but what is then my from e mail addres or is that the e mail what i give whit the mail funtion from php

7. falko

You can set the from address in the additional headers. Have a look here: http://de.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

If you don't set it, then it will be like this: <apache_user>@<hostname>, e.g. [email protected].