PHPBB update complains about open_basedir, mystery?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Taleman, May 16, 2023.

1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Trying to update phpBB 3.2.3 to 3.3, the update after accessing the URL shows lots of errors like this:
    Code:
    phpBB Debug] "file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect.
    File(../install/update/new/phpbb/cache/driver/file.php) is not within the allowed path(s):
    and then lists the open_basedir directories.
    That install directory is under web/, so it is included in open_basedir. I suspect the problem is the .. starting the../install path, maybe the update script does cd to some silly directory and then ../install does not exist there?
    When starting the update proper, the update files -action shows progress bar but it stays at 0% and never goes further.
    Any idea about this?
    • ISPConfig 3.2.9p1
    • Debian 10.13

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

you can try to temporarily disable open basedir, copy the current open_basedir paths on options tab, then replace them with the word none which should disable open_basedir in php.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It happened to me before with some forum softwares but I managed to overcome it, mostly. I cannot however remember the steps I did as I tried various forum softwares with ISPConfig. To note, default ISPConfig settings for website should work fine but we may need some code to be added like what we did for WP install and that may differ from one software to another.