phpMyAdmin Grant Privilege problem

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by DankSherman, Feb 27, 2008.

1. DankSherman

DankSherman New Member

So I recently uploaded a mail/newsletter script to my website. When I tested it by entering an address in the submit form I got the following error:

Query failed : INSERT command denied to user 'ericbrotto'@'server213-171-219-3.livedns.org.uk' for table 'mailinglist_subscribers'

I then noticed that there were "No Privileges" on my database, so I attempted to use SQL to grant one using the following command:

GRANT Insert
    ON Ingles.*
    TO 'ericbrotto'@'213-171-219-3.livedns.org.uk'
    IDENTIFIED BY 'a fake password';

but the same response keeps coming up:

MySQL said:

#1410 - You are not allowed to create a user with GRANT.

This is strange because I had already created the user with my hosting company.

Any knowledge on this?!?!?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you run this command as the MySQL root user?

3. DankSherman

DankSherman New Member

I haven´t got it figured out yet...

First I uploaded the phpMyAdmin script to my website. I then configured the config.inc.php script and uploaded that.

I then went to the phpmyadmin/admin folder on my site. I assume at this point I´m automatically logged in as the root user, no? Or is there a special process to logging in as the root user? It seems as if everything is okay as I can see my databases, can create tables, etc.

I´m a beginner to this and sometimes explicit instructions are necessary. I´ve searched for hours on the web trying to solve this on my own, but no luck.

Thanks for the quick response by the way...

4. topdog

topdog Active Member

You need to be logged in as root or as a user that has grant privileges to be able to grant privileges to other users.

What kind of service are you running on is it a VPS where you have root access, or a dedicated server or its shared hosting.

With shared hosting you will probably have to ask your systems admin to fix this for you.

5. DankSherman

DankSherman New Member

I´m pretty sure it´s a VPS. The thing is I´m the one that purchased the hosting package so it´s me who set up the database and it´s users with my hosting company. I also set up the passwords. Heck, I did everything!!!

I really don´t understand how to log in as root user. Is there some steps that I need to take after going to the phpMyAdmin/admin folder? I don´t see any log in links.

What I do see is two databases listed on the left hand side under the phpMyAdmin icons. One called information_schema and another one that I created. I also managed to create some tables on my database, which makes me feel like I´m logged in already.

So confusing.... Can anyone clarify?

6. topdog

topdog Active Member

From what you explain it seems like you have a hosting package not a full VPS, with a VPS you have actual control of the whole server and can login as root, are you sure you are not on a shared system with several users using the same database ?

On a VPS phpmyadmin would have to connect as the root user to have root privileges

7. DankSherman

DankSherman New Member

My apologies. You are correct. I have a hosting package. Thank you very much for clarifying that...

But I´m still left with my problem. All I want to do is grant certain privileges so that my script functions. As you can see from my original post, I´m having problems doing that.

Any advice?

8. topdog

topdog Active Member

Speak to your hosting provider they will be able to do that for you.